WCWS

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DownOnTheBayou, Jun 3, 2016.

1. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

But that's not Auburn's fault. #1 Florida got knocked out by Georgia, and #5 got knocked out by UCLA.

Auburn beat the teams they played, so did Oklahoma.

At the end of the day, the best team will win the tournament.

One could argue, "Let's re-seed them once they get to the WCWS", but the only league that I can think of that does that is the NFL.

LSUTiga likes this.
  2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

It's not anybody's "fault". It is IMO, a faulty process that did not yield the two best teams facing off tonight. Florida didn't even make it to the WS, so they don't really belong in the discussion regarding championship bracket play. However, I believe their absence changed the vibe and the play of the other teams.

The first day of play should have looked like this:
    Michigan v Georgia
    Oklahoma v UCLA
    Auburn v LSU
    Fla St v Alabama

Instead, it was:
    Fla St v Georgia
    UCLA v Auburn
    Oklahoma v Alabama
    LSU v Michigan

Auburn got the best deal of the opening round, IMO with perhaps the exception of Fla St but anyone playing the #16 team would have been expected to win.

Sometimes the best team does not win, because the best teams don't always get in to the championship game....just ask Auburn. ;)

3. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

I respectfully disagree with you... it's just like the Men's NCAA Basketball tournament. The only difference is - it's double elimination.

They put teams in brackets. You beat the team in front of you and advance.
    If a 12 beats a 5, and a 13 beats a 4, you have a 12-13 match-up in round #2. One of those 2 lower seeds will advance to the Sweet 16.

Then say the #1 seed in that bracket is upset by the #8 or #9 seed. This happens all the time. In this case, you'd have a #8 vs #12 match-up in the Sweet 16. Winner advances to the Elite 8.

Under your theory, with 8 teams left, the NCAA should re-seed them and have the highest remaining national seed play the lowest, and so forth on down the line.

The baseball tournament has had 5 teams advance already that weren't the hosting, higher seeded teams. There are 3 more playing winner-take-all games today - Rice, UNCW and Coastal Carolina.

4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

OMG (So gay to say that but, yeah) do you Trojan folk ever find a sport championship format fair? :D

Richdog and P&G_wheelz007 like this.
  5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Who said anything about fair? That emotional shit is for pussies. Try and resist the urge to go talk about Hillary's, now. :D

Seriously though, for me it has nothing to do with fair. I understand the attempted logic in trying to produce the 2 best teams. There are a variety of formats and let's face it, the national discussion on which format/process to follow in football goes well beyond just Trojan "folk" and I got no dog in this hunt....USC has no softball team. IMO, the process used for softball is not only convoluted, it did not result in what I consider the 2 best teams. You are certainly welcome to take issue with my assessment of the teams and/or you could say that my suggested match ups might not have had a better result but let's avoid the fairness bullshit.

LSUTiga likes this.
  6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Oh I thought the womens jumped brackets but no, there are 2 sides like normal and a losers bracket for each side. Winner of each side of the bracket meet up in the finals.

Im cool with that. Thats how its always been done.

[​IMG]

7. LSUTiga

I was wondering what yall were talking about. I even went pull two different brackets and wasn't sure wtf I was missing.

8. LSUTiga

OU just executed two squeeze plays back to back.

9. LSUTiga

Auburn was down 0-7 and has come back to tie it up at 7.

10. LSUTiga

A freggin walk off grand slam.