We all knew this, but...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Swerved, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

and then go away.

2. geauxtigers45

geauxtigers45 Founding Member

Far Far away in the land of the gumps.

3. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

And don't forget to take your dyke trunk hat with you

4. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

So, unless I'm missing this, the consensus so far is that LSU nation feel that Peterson was merely having technical difficulties. I would submit that was not just a bad angle that PP took at around the 15 yard line, that was a burst of speed by Newton that caused the poor judgment on his part. The announcers, immediately, verbally, made the same point that I'm making. They were startled and amazed at his sudden velocity that left PP wondering, what the Hey. You have to keep in mind in this scenario, that Scam was starting and stopping, changing directions and went from looking like a cooked goose to an extra 15 yard burst to the finish line.

5. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

Please never say anything bad about pp7 on here again. We don't say anything about the picture of Nick hanging on the wall in every gumps family room or the bear Bryant centerfold sitting next to the toilet. :wink:

6. Brian

Brian Founding Member

You're definitely missing something. It's called a hardened stance. You keep changing yours in this instance to fit your new argument.

You said:

So you are asserting that Cam would beat Patrick in a straight-line speed competition because of a football play. Fascinating.

Especially since the greatest receiver to play football, Jerry Rice, never ran a fast 40 time, but in his prime no one ever caught him from behind on the field. Let's ignore that and accuse Cam of being faster than Patrick because of one play in a football game. Because that's so logical..

Then you said:

Patrick squared up to make the tackle, perhaps misjudged the cutting ability and acceleration of Cam, and Newton dragged Patrick into the endzone. In no way does this demonstrate that Cam is faster in the 40 than Patrick which you first suggested. That is where you change your arguments. Cute.

Anyway, there is a tremendous difference between being fast and being quick. The two are not necessarily joined at the hip. Devery Henderson for example is incredibly fast, but not very quick in terms of the NFL level. Chris Paul can blow by quite a few guys faster than he is due to his sudden acceleration and his cutting ability. This does not necessarily slight the guy he blows by as he's done it to everyone in the game. It just shows you how incredible of a sudden burst and cat-quick cuts Chris possesses in his arsenal.

So you can try and diminish Patrick's wonderful abilities by pointing to a play he didn't stop, but it doesn't resonate because your point is as fluid as the Mississippi is liquid. You take one stance then change it and change it hoping to be right by the end and that your dancing act will have confused some poor sap into believing your nonsense.

Show me one defensive player to have never been beaten on a play in football history and I'll show you that same guy never played a down in his life.

Are LSU fans slighting Mark Ingram for a fumble? Cause you know a fumble totally discredits his accomplishments!

1 person likes this.
  7. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

You see, I completely missed that. I didn't know we were talking about THE man. I would have probably guessed, Mark Ingram type player, or at least Julio Jones, in the annals of Tiger lore. Doesn't take long to be an Icon these days. Imagine if he had stayed one more year?

8. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

Agreed

9. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Well there you have. Peterson with a 4.32 versus a 4.59 for Cam. I'd say Cam has a snowball's chance in hell of pulling away from PP.

10. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Exactly. Newton was almost full stride, and Peterson didn't turn to go after him until he was at the 20 or so. He was a good 10-15 yards from Newton at that point as well. I don't care how fast you are, 9 times out of 10 you're not going to stop Newton from getting that TD. Nice try Tusk.