We need help in the DL

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Randy70, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Randy70

Randy70 Founding Member

Freak and Ego were in for 77 plays against Auburn. That is ridiculous. It showed towards the end of the game. We better get the young DTs up to speed soon or we will be in trouble. We need our best players fresh at the end of games when a win or loss is at stake. I hope Les and Brick have gone easy on Freak and Ego this week so they can have their legs back for the Dogs.

2. 1BIGTIGER

1BIGTIGER Founding Member

I look at it a little differently like Ego and Freak have gotten a lot of snaps to bring them up to "game shape". The high number of snaps they have played will serve them well down the stretch in the 4th qtr when the game is on the line.I don't feel the DL is a problem it is our LB core that has some pretty big holes in it. We have some depth at DT and DE we just need a LB to really step up and be able to seal up the area between the tackles. We shut the inside run down and we have the speed on the outside to cover. Saturday will be a huge test for this D and I feel we will rise to the occasion with Chief commanding our warriors! Lets get it on TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cajun Sensation likes this.
  3. Randy70

Randy70 Founding Member

If we have depth at DT why did Freak and Ego play the whole game. I disagree about your statement of getting them up to game shape. The time for conditioning is before the season starts. During the season it is more important to have fresh legs. I was a DT for LSU so I speak from experience.

4. FirstCoastTiger

FirstCoastTiger FirstCoastTiger

Lots of folks speculating that Miles plans on subbing in Bain and Gilmore during the UGA game.

We shall see.

If that's true, then I would much rather have seen them play some significant snaps against Kent St. And UAB...

5. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

not really, thats the best unit we have so far

islstl likes this.
  6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

As MM already stated, this is all we have.

Bain and Gilmore aren't going to suddenly step out on that field out of nowhere to play in the most critical game of the year thus far.

I want to know what happened to players like Mickey Johnson and Quentin Thomas. Their 2nd year in the program, they should have stepped it up enough to get into the rotation.

7. dudley

dudley oops!

One thing that might help is Georgia's slower pace. Auburn ran 85 plays against us while Georgia ran 74 against NT. Still, we need a rotation. Quentin Thomas has a foot injury and was held out against Auburn but is supposed to be ready for Georgia. LaCouture is a true Freshman. That's the rotation. Georgia is going to pound the middle and double team out DTs and our linebackers are going to get a full dose of Gurley. Man, I tell you, I don't know.

8. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

This is what I was going to say. AU was running a play every 15 seconds in the second half. Where was the time to make the subs? At least our best guys were out there.

9. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

Auburn played so much hurry up that we couldn't sub, but late in the game, even when Auburn was subbing, we didn't. They were still hurrying, but doing quick substitutions and our guys stayed the course...and ultimately got a big stop. Two ways to look at it I guess. Maybe the coaches were putting there starters to the test late in a game that was only minimally in doubt. There was no other reason to not sub in for an obviously tired D-Line. There was also no other reason to not take the opportunity to get out of the base 4-3 running against Auburn's hurry up, 4 and 5 wide sets. Seems like maybe the coaches just wanted to see what the starters had left in the tank after running so many snaps. And they responded.

10. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

I don't know about that. Being tired is when injuries happen. It seems a pretty big risk with the trip to Ga in the offing.