Wear Your Life Jacket Please

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by HatcherTiger, Mar 9, 2010.

1. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

2. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Thanks for posting...
    <<<<<GUILTY!

In tournaments, we have to wear our PFDs when the main engine is on...as well as put the killswitch on the driver. It never bothers me one bit. It's not uncomfortable, and we can take 'em off for fishing. But for some unknown reason, I don't put it on every single time I hop on the boat. What makes even less sense, I have had an experience that should've taught me better.
    -
    Years ago, I was in the "Parish Line Canal" seperating Jefferson and St. Charles, in my 14 ft jon boat with a 9.9 outboard, my friend Kelly sitting on the bow. We turned out of the main canal into an adjoining canal...RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE. I struck something HARD...dead center. Kelly was ejected...and the boat kept going. Luckily, I was able to still be in position to control the boat...and I turned it sharply away from Kelly while killing the engine. He lost his class ring in the incident, but that was it. We were SO lucky!! I guess I was too young and stupid to really let that sink in. I remember helping him into the boat, and we headed back to the launch, since we had about a softball sized hole in the front of the boat. We had to both sit in the back to keep the bow up while heading in. FWIW, it was a PILING that I hit...right in the middle of the canal...barely submerged. YOU NEVER KNOW!
    -
    I know after Katrina, I wore mine every time I got in the boat...and the kill switch too. I knew there was a lot of debris in the water. I guess I somehow figured it's all good now...but it's not. You really never know.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I did not know Miles but I know the family. I am often guilty of running without the PFD. I'll think of this and, hopefully, put the damn thing on.

4. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

This also reminded me of Marquise Hill. Being on the water is can be an extremely enjoyable experience but it can go bad real quick. Thankfully I've never had a close call, however, I always have mine on and I preach it to my son. Once you hit the water without one, even the smallest physical problem can have a huge impact on your ability to survive.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

So have I. I use the vest and the killswitch when the engine is running, but I take it off if anchored or tied up somewhere.

Just hit one stump and find yourself in the lake spitting up water and you get religion fast.

6. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Or watch Wildlife and Fisheries pull a buddy from the bottom of the Amite. Especially when his vest his on him when he's pulled out. That $hit will open your eyes.