Weird Scenario for ya...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Attack Tiger, Nov 6, 2010.

1. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

So imagine that there was a 4-team playoff, rather than the 2-team one we have now. Do you really think that the regular season games wouldn't be as relevant for the team, players, and coaches? I think they would be. In fact, it could make some late season games more relevant.

2. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

yes

3. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

You're wrong.

:)

Seriously... pretend a 4-team playoff is in effect. What games are less important? The way the BCS formula works, are teams in the top 4 right now safe if they lose? Nope. They know that they need to keep winning to guarantee themselves a top 4 finish.

What about teams below 4? They know that they need to win to hopefully be able to move up in the rankings.

So what games that are relevant with a 2-team system going to be less relevant with a 4-team system?

4. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

missread your post.
    thought it said 14 team.

but i'm still against a playoff in college football
    sure this year 4 looks like it's gonna work (4 unbeatens)

4 teams woulda sucked each of the last 3 years though.
    '09 - 5 unbeatens at end of year
    '08 - 7 one-loss teams, plus undefeated Boise and Utah
    '07 - 2 teams with 1 loss, 7 teams with 2 loss plus undefeated Hawaii

5. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

Might want to ask Oklahoma and Oregon X 2 and some others how they feel about those Boise amateurs. They are not the Hawaii type team that played Georgia but instead VERY MUCH like the Utah team that completely beotch slapped Alabama. I'm not a Boise fan but I have seen them play TCU two times in bowl games, they will bring their best game to any team
    and they will be prepared, THEY WILL NOT LOSE for a lack of effort or coaching, but they can lose just like any team in the country if they get outplayed which is certainly not a given. You would be a fool to overlook them.LSU!

6. roynav

roynav free your mind

Don't count out the Beavers. Beating the ducks would absolutely make their season and give them redemption. Ducks have a history of choking late season. I'd actually love to see a Auburn-Duck matchup in the NC, providing Auburn hasnt been dirty. I think Auburn is the best in the SEC this year by a considerable margin (hey their strength (offense) beat down our strength (defense)). Call me a SEC hoser, but even thought I'm up here in PAC-10 land, I'm still not convinced they belong on the same field as the elite in the SEC. This game would settle that question.

7. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

8. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Any scenario in which you don't have Oregon as number 1 when all is said and done is faulty.

I am a Pac-10 hater, but that whirlwind that ripped UCLA apart on TV several weeks ago was beyond awesome.

I hate it, and would love to deny it, but can't. Hope they trip up. But they will not.

9. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

Okay, okay, okay. Now that I'm sober, I'll concede that they are not exactly amateur teams...they just play in an amateur conference. The way their schedule is set up, they would almost get an almost automatic bid into the championship game every year if it is allowed to happen even once...especially if they win.

And yeah, Utah whooped Alabama. But man, I watched that game and I saw a Nick Saban team come out flat against an inferior opponent. That happens from time to time with him. ULM, anyone? And Boise beat Okie, but it wasn't by much...and Okie has had trouble playing any team of substance over the last decade. They were in two NC games that they didn't belong in (USC and Florida), and another when they put up a good fight but lost nonetheless. They are the Big 12 version of Ohio State.

And to other posters, I don't think Oregon loses. Nor do I think Boise or TCU loses. I just wanted to throw out an unlikely, yet possible, scenario and get some opinions on it. I tend to agree with the majority...we would be tasting Sugar. And I'm perfectly fine with that!

10. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

IF LSU wins out...
    IF Auburn loses 2 (Either regular seasn or SECCG)...

AND LSU gets bumped to #4 in the human polls (this will take impressive wins over Ole Piss and Arkansas)...

They WILL be #1 in the computer poll...

It will be very close in the BCS rankings.. Really all that we can do is hope that LSU wins out and Auburn stumbles. Everything else is up to the pollsters. I can see it all coming down to who on TCU and Boise's schedules loses in the last few weeks (like Hawaii did to USC in 2003).