Welcome back, scum

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mcmikel, May 18, 2005.

1. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

Ah hell, we get alcohol at every game, they just don't have to know. :hihi:

2. Carface

Carface What the...?

They better give the away team the most tickets when we're playing at Tulane.

3. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

When you compare previous Tulane home games involving LSU, this is not a big pay day for the Wave. Tulane had been able to pirate extra tickets to donors, while tossing LSU the nose-bleeds in the Dome. Tulane's "win" is the large Tiger Stadium pay out, not the Superdome game.

There is not one D-1 "rivalry" where one team is given such control over the entire ticket allotment. LSU controls a minimum of 60% of the tickets for a Tulane HOME game. This is a far cry from the last Superdome visit in 1994 or the ugly late 70's/early 80's when the Wave won on the field and demanded fans wanting LSU tickets buy a season package. Tulane gave up a ton just to have LSU on the schedule. I believe this will cost Dickson his job within three years. The Tulane folks are not happy, they really believe they could play "hostage" with tickets when this game is New Orleans.

Strictly dollars and cents, if LSU is pulling at least $1M out of this game when it's in the Dome, the Wave is making about the same as they would playing in Tiger Stadium, $600,000. How many credible home teams would allow a visitor to rake in that kind of money, at their expense no less? This an LSU slam.

4. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

5. blevins

blevins Founding Member

Was I right or was I right?

6. Bucktown Tiger

Bucktown Tiger Founding Member

Mcmikel - you can't compare apples with oranges. I think Tulane realizes that the "good old days" are over. For Tulane, just playing LSU again is a huge pay day. It is for me, too, since I love watching LSU win in my backyard.
    BTW, does Tulane get the concessions and parking ? If so, that may make their pay day a bit sweeter. (or does that go to Benson?)

7. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

I see your point, but the Tulane fan hasn't change. They still see themselves on equal footing, except in academics. This contract is a huge blow to them. This deal takes away the scum's leverage with ticket when the game is on Poydras.

Dickson apparently realizes the old days are gone, too. This may open eyes with the Tulane trustees about how un-Louisiana Tulane has become over the past 15 years, too. The fact remains Tulane gave away the store to see LSU back on their schedule.

8. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Ok, here are the details from The Advocate this morning...

A key component of the five-and-five split rather than a two-for-one or three-for-one contract was a unique financial agreement that the two universities reached after six months of negotiation.

LSU's ticket office will sell a minimum allotment of 40,000 tickets for the five games at the Superdome, and each ticket will cost a minimum of $40.

Bertman also said details are being worked on for LSU fans to have access to luxury suites in the Superdome.

By comparison, for LSU home games, 7,000 tickets are reserved for visiting teams' fans. Tulane will be offered that number of tickets, along with roughly a $600,000 payout per trip.

The 40,000-ticket allotment means that although Tulane will be identified as the home team at the Superdome, LSU fans will likely make up more than half the crowd at the 69,767-seat Superdome.

Likewise, instead of losing the entire $1.8-2.0 million generated by a home game, LSU stands to pocket some money for playing Tulane on the road after minimal travel expenses are subtracted.

The full story ... The Advocate