Welcome Coach Steele and Coach O

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tiger420, Jan 14, 2015.

1. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

6-8 250 Damn!!!!!! Can you imagine with a little more beef what a guy like this can do from the end position.

LSUDad likes this.
  2. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Herb likes this.
  3. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

If you're eating at The Lighthouse, I'll give you a pass here, B. Their crab claws were incredibly good as was the Bisque.

There's something about seeing Fried Mullet on a menu is south Alabama that still makes me laugh.

LSUDad likes this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You eat barbecue for breakfast?

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

BBQ for breakfast, Hell yes!

LSUDad likes this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Well, OK. But only if there's bacon involved.

LSUDad likes this.
  7. Oliverjuggs

Oliverjuggs Senior Member

And in more news Santa Claus has joined the terrorist group Isis. Geeze, I thought I was negative.

LSUDad likes this.
  8. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

"O is a has been that never was." That tells you all you need to know about this idiot troll poster. I mean how hard is it to Google his resume and read what other coaches say about him? I smell shrimp, must be a Gump.

red55, Winston1 and LSUDad like this.
  9. Tiger420

Tiger420 Sell crazy someplace else, all stocked up here.

Dude isn't there some gloomy portion of the world where you can carry your message? If you're truly "tiredoflosing" then change your outlook. You don't start to win by expecting to lose.

No foundation for Steele being told to leave Alabama. He was hired by Saban on two separate occasions and is a well respected and successful recruiter. His numbers are decent, not great, over his tenure as a defensive coach. Everyone spends a lot of time focusing on one game where his Clemson team gave up 70 points and tries to broad brush that as a picture of his abilities. A change of scenery, joining an elite team of recruiters in a state that produces more NFL talent per capita than almost any state in the country and a university that already possesses the ability to pull in players from all over the US and abroad is a solid foundation for Steele to work from. Consider this:

From 1995 to 1997 this coach only moderately improved his team's record by taking his team to minor bowl games all of which were lost by double digits.
    From 1995 to 1997 his record was: 6-5-1, 6-6, 7-5
    In 1998 his team upset Ohio State (ranked #1 at the time), but went on to finish 6-6 featuring last minute losses marred by defense issues, turnovers and sloppy special teams play
    1999 was his most successful season at 9-2. The two losses were routs at the hands of Wisconsin and Purdue. He never coached the bowl game that year (a victory in the Citrus Bowl) because of his abrupt departure.
    - Coach Nick Saban

Saban saw what some other coaches also see at LSU: access to some of the best talent in the country. He parlayed that into a successful run, built his reputation and now sits at the top. I'm not saying that's what Steele and O or Miles will do, but they have the opportunity. With what's available this university has the ability to help a coach go from .500 record (Saban's average from 1995-1997) to elite status.

There's no telling what the ceiling might be for Steele, nor do we know what the floor will look like either. But I will tell you one of the most important concepts to grasp is the idea of FIT. If Steele and O bring the right approach at the right time and gel with both the players and the coaches then the possibilities could be endless. Steele is saying the right things. Building the system around the players and not just "dusting off the playbook and throwing it on the table". Good coaches either find the players for the system or build the system around the players. It's not a rigid forcing of square pegs into round holes. Look back over history and you will see this proven time and again.

Coach O may not have been great as a head coach but his fire, passion and love of his state, the University and his players will go a long way towards his success. Coach O talked about "one heartbeat, one family". This is a concept that resonates with Miles who, if nothing else, has treated his organization like family from the beginning. I have no doubt in my mind that Coach O will pour every beat of his heart into this team. That kind of stuff can spread through and organization and lift everyone. Sometimes you don't have to be the most talented team on the field you just have to possess the bigger will to win. Combine desire with the type of talent this recruiting team can bring in and you're more likely to see success than failure.

What remains to be seen is whether or not Miles and his staff can truly prioritize and find the right QB. Jennings doesn't have the talent and Harris has not yet shown the mental abilities. QB is and always will be a position that prioritizes the grey matter over the muscle fiber. History will show you that time and again. So a quick decision needs to be made with Harris. I don't even consider Jennings in the equation. He will be a good backup. This issue should be front and center with the defense now settled.

The bottom line is there are more reasons to be optimistic than not. The sky is not falling. So try putting a little positive thinking into that coffee cup today. You'll discover that it gives you a heap of energy and the belief that anything is possible. And who knows you might just enjoy your day a little bit more because of it.

10. Tiger420

Tiger420 Sell crazy someplace else, all stocked up here.

Damn! Just when I was making good and had all the reason to believe that next year I wouldn't get coal in my stocking he goes and does that. Guess I better start buttering up the Easter Bunny now unless he's hiding out in the mountains around Pakistan as well.

LSUDad likes this.