Welfare

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUpride123, Dec 3, 2012.

1. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I hope you'll be able to send him to public school when the time comes? The cost of living might be higher where I live in Texas, but the public schools are top-notch--so it saves me money in the end.

If he can go to public school, you'll find a huge pay raise when he starts kindergarten. (although you will still be nickled and dimed to death in a thousand other ways even then)

2. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

I dont know, they have some good schools in our neighborhood that are public, but people say that good public schools are better than private ones. Is that true?

3. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I sure some are better and some aren't. Would really depend on a number of things I'd imagine.

I would think that private schools have the better consistency overall because of the income. To my knowledge, new public schools always seem to rank the best. Not sure why age is the factor, but it usually follows new home construction.

4. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

thats true better neighborhoods better school, newer the better.

5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I struggled with public vs private. We went private but I hate that the racial and socioeconomic background of my daughters classmates are not proportional to the real world. Don't get me wrong, there are other races and kids whose parents aren't driving nice cars and living in huge houses but it's just not proportional to reality. In the end, there's just no public middle school you can put your kid in here. These idiots in lake charles haven't built a new school in years. Literally maybe 30 years or more since there was a new school that wasn't to replace an old one.

LSUMASTERMIND likes this.
  6. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I went to Sam Houston!!

When I was in school then, St. Louis and Barbe were considered the upper tier of kids....

7. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

But I mean, kids will always find a way to rank who is worth more. I was in high school when they started the uniform shit. Even then, you could be judge by where you got your uniform and what kind of shoes you had. Also, the car you drove played its part.

My parents were very modest, and for good measure. They had always been well off, but opted to buy me a beater for my 1st truck. I was pissed at the time, but I ended up totaling it a few months later. They even went as far to buy me a second vehicle that I totaled again.

After that I was on my own and learned a valuable lesson. Walking to work and seeing how superficial friends could be over not having a vehicle really changed my life.

8. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I would let my kids go to any of those schools. The middle schools are the problem. SJ Welsh was rough and overcrowded when I went there in the mid 90's. Nothing has changed.

9. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

97% of students from Plano schools, where I live and teach, go to college. Every year, former students of mine are accepted to places like Princeton, Harvard, Stanford, the military academies, etc.

It is my belief that the public school students here receive a better education than the children who attend private schools. Of course, not nearly as many kids here go to private schools. In our city, we have well over 100 public schools on less than a dozen private ones--for a city with a population of over 300,000.

I am also a believer in public schools because I believe in the diversity that public schools offer.

LSUMASTERMIND likes this.
  10. martin

martin Banned Forever

agreed. i dont want my kid to go a white school, unless its a natural consequence of a white neighborhood, but i cant imagine i will ever live again in a white neighborhood.

i was born in south carolina. and the schools were terrible. i was going to go to private school. but i moved to baton rouge, and they had magnet and gifted schools, so my sister and i went to them, and they were good, particularly baton rouge high and mckinley was decent. and now in new york there are specialty public schools like bronx science, and brilliant kids go to them, and they are very, very hard to get into. but all the other smart rich kids go to private schools.

when the rich parents send their kids to pivate schools, it takes thm from the public schools and ruins them because the most important thing after the teachers is that the other students give a damn. public schools are fine if the other kids are smart.

i want public schools to work, for the diversity and the chances they give poor kids at an equal education. but it is tricky. once they start to fail and the smart kids are sent to private schools, its downhill from there.

of my friends, all of whom an afford private schools, only one is sending his kid to a public school, because he believes in the system. his friends cant believe it. i think his kid will be well adjusted, but his education will suffer and his peer group will possibly be less motivated kids. and peer groups are really really important.

gumborue and LSUMASTERMIND like this.