Well, mighty UAB sure did put on a show against 'Zona!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerEducated, Mar 20, 2005.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

I think that sums it up. excellent (ass)essment.

2. kcal

kcal Founding Member

He sure "educated" us on the fine art of posting! :hihi:

3. UAB Band Dad

UAB Band Dad Freshman

As a hardcore UAB fan, I'll give you my thoughts. Obviously, y'all know the Tigers far better than I, but I know the Blazers.

We felt that we got a bit of a fortunate draw, in that your guards are sometimes prone to playing a bit out of control and making turnovers. The game plan was high pressure, press and steal and run run run... because we knew that if we let LSU get us into a half court game, we'd get ground up inside. I figured that Bass could hold up to anything we could do (as indeed he did) but that we could probably run Baby Shaq into the ground. Tack took the bait, he tried to run with us, and then got frustrated when things went badly for him. We played what is our standard game - your guys are not used to seeing it and we were able to keep the game going our way. Also, once LSU got behind, the temptation was to try to hurry up and score, and that again worked our way. Another thing that played into the loss was depth. We routinely play 10-12 deep into our bench, and you play 7. Fresh legs and enthusiasm are tough when you can't catch your breath.

We were fortunate in that our threes were dropping. You saw what happened to us against Arizona when they didn't. (6 for 30 from three, ewwww.) I think that the biggest difference is the depth of Arizona as well as their athleticism. They also sprung a 1-1-2-1 zone on us, which we had not seen all year. We could not get inside for love or money, had to crank it up from outside, and they just were not falling. UA saw that and cranked up the inside pressure even harder and dared us to hit the three - and we just couldn't.

I will say this, and not as a slap at Brady, I don't know that much about him. Lute Olsen flat outcoached us. We were not ready for what he brought at us. Twelve straight NCAA's, 9 Sweet Sixteens in fifteen years, and five Final Fours, the guy knows his business. We got owned... but we'll be back next season.

LSU has a quality program, and a win against you was the high point of the season. Hope to see you again in the Tournament so you get a chance for revenge - or so we can get another quality win! :)

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

thanks for the outsider opinion. props to UAB for handing us our asses.

oh, its big baby, not baby shaq.

5. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Great post UAB fan. Don't worry about the starter of this thread, he's just upset cause he thinks it's Brady's fault he's running around with a half-pipe.
    [​IMG]

6. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Wow, just wow. You have it all figured out now don't you. Go on with your bad self. :thumb:

Truth be told, both the inside and outside games were working well early. Tack hit a couple key shots early on and the inside play was great. The moment the outside game went south, the zone of UAB closed in on the low post and passing lanes to the post players were simply no longer there. In order to open those passing lanes, at least some sort of outside shooting consistencey had to be established.

Oh wait, no. I am a normal fan. Doh!

All LSU had to do was force passes inside to players who were not open. It would have worked out well. I can't see why I am so sillly. I should be able to see this simple tactic! DOH!

All in all, obviously hardly anything went well fro LSU in that game. The players AND the coaching staff shouldered the blunt of this loss, that's for sure.

7. TD TIGER

TD TIGER Founding Member

Truth be told, this is not true. Go rewatch the opening of the game.

How can you make this statement? In order to try to pass it into the post, you must look to pass it into the post. Five perimeter passes and a 3-point attempt is not looking to get it into the post. The reason why those 3s were open is because we moved the ball around the perimeter, thus, creating shooting, passing and driving lanes into the paint – unfortunately, we settled for the jumper.

Not true at all. In order to open those passing lanes you have to work the offense.

I agree, you should be able to see this. The only thing that was forced in this game was a bunch of quick outside shots.

I’m not saying the players are immune to some criticism, nor am I saying that UAB didn't get some breaks in the game or didn't play very well, what I’m saying is that there were no corrective measures taken by Brady, and also, a poorly established game plan was the basis for the UAB domination.

What really amazes me is that just three posts above yours, a UAB fan has diagnosed exactly what UAB wanted us to do and exactly how it worked, and yet you still want to refute my points.

Withhold your quick judgments for a second and listen to what I am saying. In the NFL, you cannot get into a shootout with the Indianapolis Colts. Whether or not Peyton Manning is hot or cold doesn’t really matter, they are going to score and they want you to get into a game where you try to keep up. As the opponent, if you want to be successful, you try to limit the opportunities for the Colt’s offense to touch the ball by controlling it yourself. You also have to have the personnel to be able to do this. Now, think in basketball terms. In order to limit your opponent’s opportunities, you must control the ball and the clock. We did neither, and like I stated previously, we are anything but a one-dimensional team. There is no way that UAB should have controlled the game the way they did.

It’s a shame that some individuals around here are so defensive that they can’t, or simply don’t want to, comprehend someone else’s point of view.

8. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

Maybe it's the fans' fault. I'm just bored & apethetic to LSU basketball these days. WE NEED A CHANGE. Cookieman's passing recalls to me a time of excitement. The 79-81 era & the 85-87 era were electric. Maybe it was just a reflection ole Dale Brown, who always exciting if not perfect. Seems like we (Tiger fans) are always bickering about Brady. Well, if not Brady, what should we change?
    Hell, I loved Dinardo. He was plus or minus very similar to Brayy in results. Some good years, some bad. I was not excited about firing Dinardo & who the hell was Saban when he first got here. But... Saban brought a way of coaching (hard work, study, study, study, recruit, etc). Brady gets some of that right. But does anyone really give an "A" to Brady for his last coaching performance. I would like to see a consistent west SEC Champ & 1 out of 3 years an SEC Champ as well as a SEC tournament champ. We should be a dance participant EVERY year, a final 16 every 2 years, & win the damn thing every 10 years. This is not unreasonale given the talent of Louisinana & surrounding areas, given the committment of the Athletic department & the desire of the Fans. WE NEED A CHANGE.

9. LSUGradin99

Ok, fair enough:

Possession 1:
    Minor passes to Davis in post.
    Davis passes out to Minor.
    Minor passes to wide-open MItchell.
    Mitchell misses three.

Possession 2:
    Tack dribbles it out of bounds before crossing mid-court.

Possession 3:
    Tack turns the ball over just after he crosses mid-court.

Possession 4:
    - Full court inbounds pass to Tack for easy layup.

Possession 5:
    - Tack passes to Hudson
    - Hudson passes to Minor
    - Minor passes inside to Davis
    - Davis misses inside shot
    - Bass gets rebound and kicks it out to Minor
    - Minor hits the open three

Posession 6:
    - Bass takes it and drives it inside for an easy layup

Possession 7:
    - Minor passes to Hudson
    - Hud passes back to Minor
    - Minor passes inside to Davis
    - Davis makes inside shot and is fouled, hits the free throw

LSU up 10-4 so far. 7 inside points and 3 from the outside.

Possession 8:
    - Whipple passes to Hudson
    - Hudson shoots and misses a wide open three

Possession 9:
    - Mitchell penetrates inside and misses layup

Possession 10:
    - Hudson passes to Bass
    - Bass passes to Mitchell - stolen

Possession 11:
    - Hudson passes to Whipple
    - Whipple passes to Davis
    - Davis misses layup
    - Bass rebounds and gets fouled shooting, makes 1

11-10 LSU at this point.

Possession 12:
    - Mitchell shoots open three and misses

Possession 13:
    - Hudson passes to Bass
    - Bass slams it

Possession 14:
    - Whipple passes to Davis
    - Davis pases back to Whipple
    - Hudson shoots and misses open three

Possession 15:
    - Whipple passes to Mitchell
    - Mitchell misses jumpshot

13-12 LSU at this point, almost all coming from the big guys.

LSU went to post players on 8 of the first 15 possessions.

I was wrong about one thing. Both the inside and outside games were not working well early. Only the inside game had any success.

From this point - and you can not pay me to watch the rest lol - UAB went into a zone that closed down the inside. LSU tried to get it in, but quickly piled up more turnovers.

The outside shooters tried to hit shots but never could. It was not till late in the game when UAB appeared to be either just lazy or actually tired that LSU was able to get any sort of rhythm again.

Thank you so much for calling yourself out. :bball:

10. LSUGradin99

TD TIGER. I understand that you would have liked to have seen LSU pass the ball around more and wait for the post to open up. I do not believe that the post was open after the early success. I believe, based on watching the game myself, that LSU needed to hit the outside shot to relax the inside defense and be able to get easy post passes again.

With all the early post play success, LSU certainly tried to go back to the big guys. Turnovers accumulated though. However, Bass still got his touches and certainly cashed in. That alone shows you that LSU did not simply shoot jump shots all game

Obviously you disagree, that is OK. However, you seem agitated because someone has an opinion that differs from yours and is vocal. Just remember though, it was you who called out someone as a "normal fan" and said they are "missing the point".

What do you expect someone to do after you use that tone? Agree with you and offer you milk and cookies?