Well, Well!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by clair, May 5, 2006.

1. clair

clair Rockets

Making money with this job isn't the issue...

it is the experiences that I am gaining here for the NEXT job that will be where the money is made

2. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

That job doesn't pay ****. Congrats though.

3. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

My nephew is a meek, mild kid. Graduated from some art design school up in Boston. Interviewed everywhere, couldn't get a job.
    My sis was worried, ask me to call him.
    I asked him where he wanted to work. He told me, but said he'd already interviewed there and they turned him down.
    I said, O.K., go tell them that's where you want to be and you'll work there for free for three months. If they still don't need you, you'll quit, no questions asked.
    He did. They put him on the payroll after the first month. He's been there five years, runs a department, makes a good living.

A little passion goes a long way. Good Luck!

4. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Congrats Casey, I'm in the same boat at Nicholls. Pay is NOT worth the while, I'll admit, but experience is VITAL to aspiring journalists--especially in the sports arena (pun intended, dammit!) It seems that there are a lot of people who feel qualified to write/talk about sports, but have no knowledge on the basics of writing even a simple lead. I made like 12 bucks a story at NSU, but Nicholls is a smaller school and doesn't have the ad-revenue that I'm sure LSU has. I'm sure that sportsWRITERS will get paid an hourly-wage which would be AWESOME! I was working 30-40 hours a week as a reporter and essentially, got paid ~30 bucks a week for doing so. I spent more money on gas going to and from interviews than I made by working on the school paper, but that's what it takes sometimes. It helps to weed-out the guys who are just looking for money because working at a school paper is little more than an apprenticeship--albeit a neccessary one!

5. clair

clair Rockets

very very well said, and thanks for the kind words, JB

6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Great news Casey - congrats. If your stories are as good as your podcasts, I eagerly await reading them.

7. TigerPrideLSU

TigerPrideLSU Founding Member

That's awesome man. Good luck with it and enjoy the job.

8. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

first story.... follow smoke for a day. you'll eat well and learn bad habits, both on and off the field.