Welter Skelter Defense

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerTap, Jun 25, 2014.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

no, he is definitely timid

these aren't plays that he simply isn't athletic enough to participate in (that's a whole other issue and a story for another day)

he saunters towards the action

go back and watch some film

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I knew you couldn't prove those ridiculous comments. You can't name a single play in a single game where Welter is "scared" or "tries to avoid contact". Explain how you could know this. The fact is that you have no idea whatsoever about what is in Welters head. So you just made it up.

You actually imagine that the second leading tackler on the team "timidly" "allows others to hopefully make the tackle" 4 out of 5 plays! What total nonsense! How did he get all those tackles?

Nope, you are the one on the limb for these absurd remarks. Others have called him slow, others have called him less talented than some freshman, others have said he gets dragged downfield. Those are opinions one can have based on what he sees. No one but you is claiming that he is scared and running away from plays trying to avoid contact. You think you can read his mind? You think Chief and Les would put up with that?

So I'm calling Bullshit. Prove it.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I'm ready! What game? What play can we see cowardice? What play can we see him timidly, hopefully wait for someone else to make a tackle?

4. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Yea, I with Red on this one. I think he is less athletic and light in the pants, but I don't recall seeing him take a dive or anything to avoid contact. I have seen him out of place and get pushed around, but I have seen others do the same. It just so happens MLB is the QB of the D so more is expected from him....

LSUDad likes this.
  5. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

J D finished with 11 tackles less then Lamin Barrow, but ended up with more solo tackles than Barrow. Like I said, I'll trust Chief with this one. The guy has been doing this for too long. The addition of weight, if no drop in speed should help him this year.

In the Spring DJ was noticed:

Mike Miley Leadership Award
    (Outstanding Leadership in Spring Drills- Defense)

Jimmy Taylor Award
    (The comprehensive Spring Award for Outstanding Leadership, Effort and Performance)

Toby Caston Performance Award
    (Outstanding Performance in Spring Drills- Defense)

The words Leadership, Effort and Performance all are seen in these Awards.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  6. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I agree, tremendous lack of athleticism, not heart or courage is what I see. Welter is a Tiger and a fighter through and through. That's why I find it painful to criticize him, but a team on the level of LSU should have someone faaaaaaar more physically gifted ready to go at every position. Until recently recruiting at LB has been poor , that's how Chief finds himself in this position. The last couple of years Chief and company have done much better, so help is on the way. Until then I support Welter, but reserve the right to call it like I see it when that lack of recruiting bites us in the ass.

Winston1 likes this.
  7. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

Funny how some of the same people who get so worked up over negative comments towards the head coach are so quick to rip a player to shreds.

8. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I don't need to investigate anything, I've been in the stands that long watching it. LB has been a point of weakness most of that 25 years. None of the LBs drafted were top notch . We have consistently ranked in the bottom half of the SEC at LB. Help is here with more on the way, but until recently there has been a huge void of star players at that position.

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I think most MLB's need a year of starting to really get up to speed. Heck Minter's numbers weren't any better than DJ's his first year starting.

" LSU's starting middle linebacker who played in 14 games and made 11 starts ... Ranked fifth on the team in total tackles with 61, including 40 solo stops ..."

And he had one hell of a dline in front of him.

Contained Chaos, TigerTap and red55 like this.
  10. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Actually Luke was the starter at MLB during the 2007 championship season. And Welter had a much better season than Luke did for both Sander's junior & senior seasons. He had about 35 tackles both years. But I do remember that many fans jumped all over him too.

By the way the starting MLB in 2003 had the sack on the last OU pass play. Who was he?