Went to the ULM game

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by wjray, Sep 15, 2014.

1. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

The wife got tickets from a vendor at work and she and I decided to go.

I haven't been to a home game in probably 5 years, after having season tickets through most of the late 90s into the early 2000s.

A few observations:

-- Damn the seats were pretty good. Southeast endzone, lower section. LF ran that TD right into my lap.

-- The wine and cheese crowd was out in force. The fucktards right in front of us showed up about 10 minutes after kickoff and I told the wife they'd be gone as soon as LSU went up three scores. They cleared out after the first score of the 3rd quarter.

-- The ole stadium looks pretty good, both inside and out. I couldn't really see the new addition once we were in our seats, but I liked the video board in the south endzone we could see. The "ribbons" around the stadium are going to be a nice addition once the operator figures out what to use them for.

-- The sound, on the other hand, sucked. @red55 was right. Just let there be a minute or two during the game without something blaring out of the speakers.

-- The video board worked pretty well showing the Golden Girls during halftime. I was, however, a bit, uh, surprised by the performance though. At one point I was tempted to break out some singles and start tossing them but the wife was with me and they were on the other side of the stadium. Which brings up another point:

-- The band did the last couple of songs at halftime clustered in the north endzone "saluting" the student section. Is this normal? I don't remember such during my time there. While it was mostly cool, it took something away from the performance and, since they were facing away from us, we couldn't hear much.

-- The bathrooms were amazingly clean. This one is more from the wife than me. But I did notice it too. I stopped at a port-a-potty in the parking lot before we took off and even after the game it was still minty fresh. Pleasantly surprised.

-- I'm getting too old. We parked on Skip Bertman and walked to the PMAC for food. We tried to meet up with a friend but kept missing each other. So we walked up the hill to the Quad and spent some time there reminiscing. We walk back down the hill to watch the team and the band. We then met another friend on the south side of the stadium and walked back to the PMAC for another tailgate. From there, we went into Death Valley and watched the game. When it was done, we walked to the car. When I woke up Sunday I felt like I had played. My back, knees and ankles ached. Getting old ain't for sissies.

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Most of your observations are spot on. Can't comment on the Golden Girls as I didn't notice. You and Red are right about the non stop music, my ears needed a rest by halftime. The saying quality over quantity needs to be applied here. The wine and cheese crowd, well just get used to it because it's here to stay. At 50% of the games the stadium is empty by the start of the 4th. The score boards are hugely improved and the stadium looks wonderful. What they have done to the shell of the stadium without major structural changes is amazing. Old age, I'm there with you. It is indeed a bitch, but it sure beats the alternative. Glad you had a good time.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Send an email to the athletic director complaining about the sound system. I did.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

What a Drag it is Getting Old - Rolling Stones

I know how you feel. After Saturday and Sunday I had to soak my remote control fingers in the hot tub

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You ARE getting old.

6. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I am, but that's not why I didn't notice the GG's. There's enough fine muffin around my section I don't have time to watch others clear across the field. I said I was old, not dead!

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

"At one point I was tempted to break out some singles and start tossing them"

:)

Bengal B and GregLSU like this.
  8. vector4

vector4 Founding Member

This was my first game in the new stadium too, the stadium really looks big to me with the new upper deck. Make the stadium look huge to me.

I bought some tickets in the East Upper. Wtf is going on with the entrance there? The stairs were shut down and everyone was funneled into the escalator. I am not so old to where I can't walk up some stairs vs missing half of the first quarter. The line for gate 9 went down the street about a mile. I was in line an hour before kickoff and got to my seats with 7min left in the 1st. Absolutely ridiculous.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Email the AD. They need to know the problems.

LSUDad likes this.