West Coast Booty

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUfan71, Apr 21, 2003.

?

Is John Booty's job at USC payment for his son's services?

1. Yes, it stinks.

9 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. No, it's OK.

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Whatever.

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  1. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

I am floored at recent reports that Mr. John Booty will accept a coaching job at the school where his son has been given a scholarship. Obviously Mr. Booty will be reimbursed for services he will render but it reeks of pay-for-play. What's to keep any school from calling the father of a bue chip recruit a "coach" and then provide a $100,000 a year staff position? I haven't heard anyone else with the same feelings so I'm apparently ignorant of something. Am I missing something?

2. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

dude his dad is a very good qb coach and knows football. Lets not forget he was an all-state qb himself. I have no problem with it because:

1. when jdb committed his dad was still coach at eca and jdb planned on finishing his high school career.

2. his dad is a very good coach and will help the team so it is a legit hire. Its not like he is just joe somebody who thinks they can coach because they play ncaa2003 on ps2. The guy can coach.

3. He has already est. himself as one of the best recruiters in the south. He already has a handle on that. He also has proven he is good at fundraising which every school can use.

Say what you want but since his hire at eca he has put Josh booty, Berlin, Rawls, and now JDB to all national contenders and all are going to end up starting at some point. Say what you want about Josh but he was loyal to LSU, Did what was right for LSU by leaving early openig the door for Rohan, and He was an all sec QB. He must have been pretty good to be voted that despite what everybody else says. Also Rawls and Berlin are more then likely going to start this year at OU and UM.

Also as OC at ECA he has put countless players into D1 schools, granted not all of them have panned out, but they did go and that speaks for his coaching ability. Don't get me wrong I dislike ECA as much as the next guy, But this bad mouthing of all the players needs to stop. Booty has sent 2 of his sons to play here and both contributed. They might not have lived up to the hype but so what they put it on the line for the tigers and I respect that. I also respect Josh giving back like 1/2 a mill or maybe more to come play for my tigers. John Booty isn't just some guy he has a proven track record and his son committed before they hired him. In my book it is a legit hire. Its not like they are letting JDB some for free because his dad is a coach. They do, do that at USC but you have to work there for a while first. I wish JDB and JB all the luck in the world except when they play my tigers. They are good christian people and have done nothing but good for the state of LA so I think we need to support them. Sorry for the rant

3. SeN-SaTioN

SeN-SaTioN Founding Member

I wish Johnny the best of luck at USC. You never know he may turn out to be the next Steve Spurrier. Steve was also a quarterback himself....

4. ricky

ricky Freshman

What if LSU had hired the coach from O.P.Walker? All I say is I wish him and his son the best. Make La. proud. They are native sons.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means a Booty supporter but USC hired a man who is legitimately qualified for the position. Contrast that with Duhon's mom getting a cushy job she was not qualified for after her son signed to play basketball for Duke, or with the fact that after Chris Jackson signed with LSU his mother got a job in Baton Rouge that was far above her skill level. Maybe USC wouldn't have hired John Booty if his son hadn't signed with them but with his track record of achievement on th high school level I'm sure he could have gotten a similar position at a number of division I schools

6. Hub

Hub Founding Member

I could care less if Booty's father gets a job with USC, the Saints or whoever. This looks to be one of those "scratch my back I scratch yours" situations. The kicker, however, being Booty's father is "supposedly" qualified for the job. So regardless of how far anyone could dig there is nothing to dig up he's a football coach. Not a coal miner becoming a football coach.

Anyway it looks fishy:

1) Hiring a HIGH SCHOOL coach from 3,000 miles across the country......does he have any ties to the university or members of the coaching staff.......other than his son is going their in 4 months? The top high school in the country is on their door step....De La Salle.....why not choose from their.

2) He loses his job and immediately gets hired by his son's school of choice. Was this know beforehand?

3) Does he have any college coaching experience? I have no idea but presuming he doesn't........he gets hired by one of the top college football programs in the country for his first collegiate job. Plus, USC is on a high right now and could have their pick of coaches.

This isn't a first in any sport. Of recent memory Univ of Memphis hired Dejaun Wagner's father as an asst coach the year before guess what........Dejaun Wagner signed with Memphis. Now, Wagner is in the pros and daddy is gone from Memphis.

I wish him luck, but to think Booty's father getting this job had nothing to do with the fact his son is going to school their is living in the dark.

7. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

Since JD's commitment is not binding. I am thinking USC rushed into hiring him before someone like Texas, ARK, MSU, and any other school decided to give him a job. They had to think that JD might follow his dad to his new job, so why not be safe give the Dad a job, keep JD and also get what appears to be a good coach.

8. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Danny Manning?

Ever heard of Danny Manning. His dad, who was a truck driver, was hired by the impeccable Larry Brown, as an assistant BB Coach, after Danny signed with Kansas. After Danny helped Kansas to a national championship, Brown went back to the NBA and the senior Manning left Kansas.

9. r_bear42

r_bear42 Founding Member

I know it was well before your time LSUFan71 but when Pistol Pete came to Tiger Town back in the mid 60's his father Press came with him and was named head basketball coach at LSU. When Pete left LSU, Press his father was fired and Dale Brown was hired. It may have not been the same year but when Pete left LSU his father was fired within a year. My point is, this is not something new. It's been going on for years and our beloved LSU is "guilty", if you call it guilty, of the same thing as USC. Personnaly I don't have a problem with a package deal and wish the Booty's all the luck in the world.

10. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member