West Coast Booty

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUfan71, Apr 21, 2003.

?

Is John Booty's job at USC payment for his son's services?

1. Yes, it stinks.

9 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. No, it's OK.

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Whatever.

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  1. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

There is also an article about it in this week's Sports Illustrated.

2. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Anyone stopped or thought to ask........How in the hell does a kid graduate from high school in 3 years? Everyone remembers that high school schedules are pretty set..6 or 7 classes a day. No room to take additional classes during the semester. I guess you could do it through summer school. I never went to high school summer school but I know people who did and one class was half a day the whole summer.

Something doesn't smell right

3. Ellis Hugh

If you take all of your required core curriculum first, then the only required class your Sr. year is Senior English. Math, Science, etc each have 3 required years that can be taken in your freshman, sophomore, and junior years. English is the only course that has 4 required years.

On the other hand, this option was never offered to me when I was in high school !

4. Hub

Hub Founding Member

But you have to take more than just Math, Science & English, correct?

5. Ellis Hugh

True, but what I meant was that (I think) it is possible to cram all required courses into 3 years with the exception of 4th year English.

I'm not saying that its not fishy. I'm just saying that that is the explanation.

6. Hub

Hub Founding Member

did Brett give you a shirt for breaking the 1,000th post barrier? You oughta ask for one. Come on Brett fork it over...moderator or not.

7. SeN-SaTioN

SeN-SaTioN Founding Member

In the state of Louisiana you need 23 credits to graduate. Here is the requirments breakdown:

English .................................. 4 credits
    Social Studies.........................3 credits
    Mathematics...........................3 credits
    Science...................................3 credits
    P.E......................................... 2 credits
    Electives.................................8 credits
    Total...........23 credits

So if you take 3 years of 7 hours each that leaves you with 21 credits going into your senior year. If you take Drivers Ed that is an extra .5 credit. Also if you take a computer lit exam you could earn another .5 credit. So that leaves you with just the one English class that you knock out in the summer. I know this b/c i was considering early graduation when i was in high school.

So it is possible for JDB to grad early.

8. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

ECA is on "block scheduling" That means it is very similar to a college semester system. They take 4 classes a semester and 8 in a year. So supposing he took one english a year at the end of 3 years he has 24 credits with only one english lacking, take that during the summer and there you go, he can graduate.

9. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I don't think it's fishy at all. I can remember some of my friends only taking 2 classes their senior year and then getting out of school at like 10:00. If he goes to summer school for that last credit then more power to him. He'll be missing out on his senior year and all the good things associated with it.

10. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

His situation is unique. His father was a coach and involved heavily in the Church. Appearently Johnny Booty and Duron did not see eye to eye on some issues supposedly involving a ministry issue. I can understand that John Davis would be upset about his dad's dismissal and he did not want to go to a school that fired his dad. USC was really his only other option. Him tansferring to another school in Shreveport would have tough.