Westboro plans on picketing Sandy Hook funerals

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by fanatic, Dec 16, 2012.

1. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

he is simply one of the most logically illogical people on earth.
    I think he is awesome as well.

2. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

I used to think was a total social tard, which he may be and there are probably few like him, but he's our tard and I like him.......and will continue to pray for him. :)

KyleK likes this.
  3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Try to pay better attention. The point was that religious stories are not always stupid. They are intended to teach lessons and they were effective, especially in a pre-literate society. That is why modern people can respect the intent even as they realize that the story itself is a myth.

Sadly, no. You are an armchair philosopher, not a social scientist.

A smart guy recently said that you should not advocate crazy stuff if you want to be taken seriously.

What I said was that they should be treated a metaphors and more people take them this way than do not. Even El Stupido. You and I are not the only thinking humans on the planet. You just don't consider that people can and do take a valid message away from a mythological story.

In fact, Jesus himself taught his message by the telling of parables, which was faithfully recorded by the gospels. They knew all along that they were parables. But many of the ancient myths of the old testament are parabolic as well.

Mocking and jeering those with whom you disagree is a childish practice. Haven't you grown out of it yet?

The point was that religious stories are not all stupid. I said nothing about prayer. Supa prays, yet still understands religious mythology. Not all who believe in the power of faith are stupid or relics of an ancient time.

You aren't paying attention again. I said that the stories themselves are not always stupid. Kyle can believe that Jesus died for his sins if he so wishes and still understand that many bible stories are parables intended to illustrate a principle.

What virus? It's a fucking story and harmless.

It's not honesty at all. It rudeness, impudence, and a violation of the privacy of their own thoughts. Who gave you the mission to ridicule people with whom you disagree? Rand I suppose, it sounds like her. Did you join the Thought Police? You are just so insecure in your own beliefs that you must hold others up to ridicule to make yourself feel important. Pity.

You are a poor doctor if you imagine that ones thoughts and beliefs are a disease. You are also possibly the most ego-centric, self-absorbed, self-serving, and self-righteous person I have ever encountered. The illness is yours, amigo. It is mental and you should seek counseling.

KyleK likes this.
  4. martin

martin Banned Forever

I am not a social tard I am a drunk and popular fellow, loved by all.

Also red wants you to know that the book that you read that says prayer works, that book is a myth, you aren't supposed to actually try to magic telepathy with some deity or sorcerer or anything. Brains can't really blast thoughts around the universe or whatever. It's a myth that teaches us valuable lessons.

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

Also red, regarding mocking and jeering being childish, presumably you believe mark twain is childish. Robert penn warren is chlidish? Basically every interesting human that ever lived mocked and jeered the particular social conventions and people af their time that deserved it. It's a delightful technique for progress.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

Cheers.

You are more Malcolm than Martin, Malcolm has two ells. Anyways when I first read that I thought it meant you are more Malcolm than Martin is, meaning me.

7. red55

You do not match the subtlety and acumen of the great wits, my friend. It's more like the little "Nyah, nyah" song with you.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

so its not the mockery you oppose, its the lack of skill with which i mock and jeer. noted. next time i mock our friend tigerchick for praying, i will try to keep it to your standards. good to know that you have at least conceded that people deserve mocking.

also i would argue that you are no less condescending than i am wen you say "They are intended to teach lessons and they were effective, especially in a pre-literate society", as if our religious friends are still seeing the benefits of shit that worked on primitive morons. an argument could be made that my less subtle and more direct jeers are more respectful than your indirect methods. you are allowing our friend to think that your statements do not directly apply to them, when they clearly do. i am doing them the service of being an honest pal.

LSUpride123 likes this.
  9. red55

I did not say that at all. I say that Mark Twain's subtle wit and your blatant mocking and jeering are as filet mignon to vienna sausage.

Of course they can! They can just see it from a better perspective. Primitive people were not morons, mr. pomposity, they were simply illiterate. Oral traditions require memorable tales that get passed down until the time that they can be documented in writing.

An argument could be made, but it would lose.

I have applied no value judgements, only explained the importance of stories in an oral tradition. As a self-proclaimed world expert on anthropology and sociology, you should have known that. But alas . . .

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

but this is exactly the problem. oral tradition trumps reason. oral tradition is how smart people become dumb and have faith. and then you get millions of dead people.