what a difference a game makes!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by alumni95, Feb 4, 2004.

1. OklahomaTiger

OklahomaTiger Founding Member

I'm not trying to bring up the worse times.

I'm just trying to paint an accurate picture of where Dale Brown left this program. The fact Brady was able to recruit a top 5 recruiting class last season and what he's accomplished the first 6 seasons under harsh conditions speaks volumes for his ability. Now, I don't agree with some of the on-court antics he pulls and thinks he could handle situations more appropriately, but the fact is that he's a very good coach that is highly underrated. It'll take a Final Four before anybody here respects him, but remember, it took Dale Brown 10 seasons before he reached the Final Four, and he only reached it one other time in his 25-year tenure. I wasn't trying to imply that whoever we'd hire would be as bad as Dale was at the end of his career. Also, it's not like there's a dozen Rick Pitino/Mike K's out there. I think these unreal expecations are bred out of the football team's success, which is very unfair. This state and university can much more easily have a successful football program due to the influx of in state talent and support from the fans. In basketball, you can't always just rely on in-state talent. Look at the top teams - NC, Duke, Kentucky, Connecticutt, etc. Over half of these teams' recruits come from a different state. So out of state players are typically going to pick the schools that have the tradition. And we all know LSU is not widely recognized as a basketball school. If we could get some more people into the PMAC, maybe that'd show how much we support basketball, which would attract more recruits like Brandon Bass and Glen Davis who happen to live in a different state. But until people stop being fair weather fans and we continue to have 5,000-6,000 fans attend games, which is a complete embarrassment, it's going to be hard to convince some of the big-name recruits to come here. It's fans like TigerEducation that need to realize this and stop hammering a coach each time he loses a game or two. These aren't real fans - fans support their teams even during the down times and hope for the best. It seems like some of the Brady bashers here hope LSU loses this year just so Brady's job will be in jeopardy.

2. OklahomaTiger

OklahomaTiger Founding Member

You're absolutely right!

We need a top-notch pg, and Whipple isn't the man. Maybe we'll start Mitchell and Minor in the backcourt next year. I'd like Minor to start now, but Coach Brady obviously doesn't feel he's ready, and maybe it's better he comes off the bench for now. It'll expose us when bigger guards post us up, but their quickness and athleticism will make up for it. I like Hudson coming off the bench much better. He did well his freshman year coming off the bench and he did well coming off the bench again last night. That will hopefully continue down the stretch. Garrett Temple will hopefully be another reliable backup next season. The frontcourt with Bass, Davis, Lazare, Neltner and Koundjia will be even better with the added year of experience for everyone (except Davis).

3. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i'm not worried about the frontcourt for obvious reasons, plus brady's D makes big players less necessary on that end. point is the most important position on the court and should be treated that way in recruiting. although, i guess its also the hardest position to recruit because so much of it is between the ears.