What about blocking?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tiger_T, Oct 25, 2010.

1. kluke

kluke Founding Member

I said on Sunday I thought the game was lost in the 3rd Quarter at the offensive LOS. We actually looked OK on offense in the first half (for us) but the third looked like Auburn's D-line was pistol whipping puppys. We were holding on by fingernails after that. They eventually broke.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I thought LSU's offensive line was run blocking really well at the beginning of the game. I think they are really effective run blocking up the middle. This is going to be the key against Alabama. But..... Gary Crowton is going to try and out think the stadium again, and get all cute.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The offensive line was weak and got pushed around severely. I do not understand why some of the bigger younger players are getting so little playing time. They will only get better by playing. The defense rotates in players all game long but Studrawa mainly plays the same five guys.

4. LaSalleAve

yeah I agree with this, T Bob got man handled so bad, he is going to have to start calling Nick Fairlay daddy instead of Bobby.

5. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Yes the O line got owned in the 2nd half, but was doing a fairly good job in the first half. When AU decided to put 6 down lineman to blitz and stop the run is when it all started to come apart for us. AU was daring us to try and throw the ball downfield, knowing that we weren't having any success in that area. Yeh, I know JJ sucks, but in this game it wasn't all his fault. Much of the blame falls on the WR's and their inability to actually catch the ball. Our failure to be able to throw the ball beyond 5-6 yds allowed them to crowd the line, opting to allow our receivers the freedom to try and catch something. They gambled and won.

In the 2nd half they were able to put constant pressure on our QB's, either sacking them, flushing them out of the pocket, or forcing them to throw passes basically out of bounds to prevent the sack. They were also able to stuff the run, because they had crowded the line. I've said it over and over again, our WR drops were the main cause of all of this. AU knew our WR's and QB's couldn't connect so why even worry about it.

GC's biggest mistake was not continuing to force JJ and SR down their throats, utilizing short dump off passes just to keep them honest and to keep moving the chains. We started to try and get cute with longer passes to try and attack their supposed weakness, but they made half time adjustments daring us to keep trying, and willing to risk the possibility of us actually connecting. See the Ware pass to RR. Several of the statistical run plays in the 2nd half were designed pass plays that were broken up. We got away from the bread and butter that was keeping the game close and it cost us. Although I'm not really sure we had a choice, given our WR's weren't giving us any help down field to actually keep AU's D honest and off the line.

This will be the last time I mention this because I now realize I sound like some of the posters I can't stand. Repeating the same thing over and over again. I'll keep this one though because it took a lot of energy to type it out.

6. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

i was in the "they were improving" boat. but this game made them look exactly like last year.

that's a bad sign, hopefully the line that showed up against florida (b/c they really did play well that game) will show up against bama.

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Yeah but this was the first stern test as far as facing an excellent D-line and we failed miserably. So it was a mirage of sorts and we saw what we really had on the O-line vs Auburn.

8. LaSalleAve

why the arrogance though? i can't for the life of me figure out why the coaching staff abandons plays on offense that work, and stick with schemes that don't. This is the in-game stuff I am talking about. It's almost like they are saying to themselves, "if you don't do it right, do it again, until you do". Like they are treating games like practice. Then when we do something amazing, kiss that play goodbye, you will never see it again. I love Miles as a head coach but :cry::confused::huh:

9. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

T-Bob and Dowrocek both got absolutely destroyed by Auburn's DT.

We're talking numerous times. I don't understand why we didn't double more or change personnel.

10. Fat Al

Fat Al Freshman

Fairley was in our back field more than Ridily