What about Stevenson at safety?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by max, Aug 14, 2004.

1. max

max Founding Member

I know he will be the star back and I trust Saban to put players in the right places, but I was thinking that Stevenson might look good at safety next to Landry. In the nickel, Daniels could take over at safety and Stevenson could move to corner. I think Daniels will do a good job, but Stevenson really impressed me in the spring game and Saban talks about getting the best players on the field. Any thoughts?

2. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

i really think this is what going to play out. maybe by the auburn game the lineup will be like this.

3. LSUdude

LSUdude Founding Member

I'd like to see Stevenson stay where he is at the nickel corner position. We are going to have to replace 2 of the top CB's in the country next year in Webster and Daniels, and I think Stevenson will make the loss of one of them a little easier by taking a starting spot at CB next season.

4. max

max Founding Member

No, I'm saying keep him at the nickel spot, but when they are in their base defense (nickel not in the game) play him at safety. When they are in the nickel, play him at nickel and bring Daniels in at safety.

5. carwashguy

carwashguy Founding Member

stevenson

you keep saying play him at saftey in our base defense (which sounds good) then move him to the nickel back and move daniels to saftey, if you do this who is going to be LSUs #2 corner? LSUs defense starting clicking big time last season when Saban moved daniels to CB from saftey and inserted Landry at saftey, I think the defense is much stronger with daniels at CB no matter what D LSU is in

6. max

max Founding Member

Of course, Daniels and Webster stay at the corner posions in the nickel.
    Nickel:
    CB: Webster, T. Daniels, Stevenson
    S: Landry, J. Daniels
    LB: Turner, Vaughn

Base:
    CB: Webster, T. Daniels
    S: Landry, Stevenson
    LB: Kuale (or whoever), Turner, Vaughn

7. carwashguy

carwashguy Founding Member

Stevenson

gotcha :wink: with all the moving back and forth you had me thinking you wanted to move Tdaniels to saftey :grin:

8. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

The free safety position is crucial to this backfield clicking like it did last year. Jesse Daniels was definitely shaky last year and was out of position a lot of the time playing in the nickel and dime packages. If he finds himself out of position in the early going, definitely look for someone else to take over at FS. Stevenson may be that guy.

9. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

I don't think it will happen because of the learning curve of the position. Playing Stevenson at CB allows him to just use more natural physical ability. He just got here and hasn't had the time Daniels and Landry have had to learn the position. Maybe if he's a quick learner it might happen but I think it's probably too soon.

10. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

J. Daniels was not out of position all that much last year, I thought he played very well once he started seeing the field a lot. Travis was out of position more than he played safety. Jessie Daniels is going to be a very good safety. Mario will be a very good corner, let them concentrate on their position w/o moving around. And Steltz is going to end up being a great safety I think.