What about the extra point?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Pitkin Tiger, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Pitkin Tiger

Pitkin Tiger Founding Member

I don't mean to gripe, but what about the extra point attempt after the "Bluegrass Miracle?" Yeah, I know, it would have taken a long time to clear the field and get it set up, but if point differential or total points scored comes into play in a tie-breaker situation, we were penalized by not having the opportunity to try. It's just a "morning after" question.

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

There is no extra point when time has expired. SImilar to overtime, you only get 6.

3. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

would there have been an extra point if the TD would have tied the score as opposed to given LSU the lead?

4. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Yes, if the extra point can change the outcome, you get a chance. So if scoring a touchdown as time expired gets you within 2 points, you can go for a 2pt. conversion.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

In the Saints game today the Saints scored a touchdown on the last play of the game that had no effect on the final outcome but the zebras called everybody back on the field for the extra point even though time had already expired and explained that by rule the extra point must be attempted. I don't know what the college rule on that is and I don't know what the point spread on LSU - KY was but it seems that the extra point in that game could have been the difference in the spread

6. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

I believe that the spread was 4 or 4.5, but if it was 4 then alot of people probably lost money, where as some won money.

7. J_Oats

J_Oats Founding Member

I don't think that the spread was 4 anywhere. It was 5.5 most places I saw.

8. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

Ref's were gone

The Refs were gone I mean fast gone.

AROUND THE BOWL AND IN THE HOLE ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!!!!!!

9. Chalmette

Chalmette Freshman

The rule is different in the NFL. In the regular season, NFL makes you kick a point on a score after time has expired. WHy, I have no idea because in the NFL you cannot return it for a score on defense. If the kick is blocked or a pass is intercepted, the play is dead immediately.

I would think the rules would be flipped. In college, where the defense is allowed to make two points off a block or turnover, you'd think they would make you attempt the try regardless.

Who knows. If it has no way of changing the outcome of the game, why bother?

10. Hub

Hub Founding Member

I think they do it in the pros b/c it is one of the playoff tiebreakers. i can recall incidents ....none that recent. where teams were tied for playoff spots and points scored either came into play or nearly came into play.