What about West Virginia?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUTiga, Jan 27, 2011.

1. PSU2LSU

PSU2LSU Veteran Member

I've been to Morgantown before and the drive up is beautiful. The campus is right off the major highway, so there is no chance your getting lost on country roads. Make sure to take in some of the mountain scenery and take some pictures. Truly one of the most beautiful places in America.

I've never been to a game there, but I've watched many on TV. A WVU is just as passionate about their team as a LSU fan. There is no other sport in WVU other then college football, and if LSU is #1 then WVU will be gunning to take them down. If you ever want to see a great rivalry game, check out the backyard brawl Pitt vs WVU every year. One of the great college football rivalries I try to catch on TV every year.

2. geauxtigs

geauxtigs Tigers Forever

:geaux: I lived in eastern WV for two and a half years and it is pretty there, especially in the Fall. And they are a passionate bunch when it comes to WVU football. If the Tigers don't come ready & prepared for a dog fight, it could be a long night in Morgantown. LSU will win if they play like they're capable. Not saying it will be easy though.

Didn't WVU and Penn St. used to be big rivals? Thought they used to play every year like WVU/Pitt. Seems like I remember them playing some big games against each other in the late 80's & early 90's. :LSU231:

3. PSU2LSU

PSU2LSU Veteran Member

They were big rivals well before I was a fan of PSU. PSU also used to play Pitt and Syracuse on a regular basis. But since then PSU is all about the money, I don't think you'll see Penn State schedule a one and one series with a "rivalry" again for a long time. Home games bring them way too much money. Baton Rouge isn't nearly as dependent on LSU football as State College is too PSU football. Baton Rouge has other industries like healthcare and petrochemicals. State College only has agriculture and Penn State.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Good to know. We sometimes tend to forget about football north of Kentucky.

5. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

WVU will be every bit as tough as any other SEC road game this year. I don't care if they lack anyone with national name recognition, they always have athletes and their coaching is top notch. Playing in their venue is nothing to sneeze at, either.

6. PSU2LSU

PSU2LSU Veteran Member

I attended the LSU WVU game here in Baton Rouge and WVU was in the game the whole time despite Noel Devine Getting hurt. If it wasn't for a blocked field goal and Patrick Peterson running back a punt return the game could have gone either way. And I guarantee when we go to Morgantown that the fans are going to be much louder then the LSU fans were at the LSU WVU game. The fans around me were all exiting the stadium well before the game was over, which made no sense to me at all.

7. EERSFan

EERSFan Veteran Member

Its going to be a good game, do not expect WVU to be a push over as they will be anything but.

WVU has lost a lot on the defense side of the ball, but those replacing them have all had large amounts of experience last season. There is a lot of expectations going into this season for WVU's Bruce Erving who had 14 sacks last season only play on third downs last season.

On the offensive side WVU hopes to get back to the high scoring days with Dana Holgorsen leading the way. Him and his staff all say it only takes 3 days to place that high powered offense in and record shows that it must be the case. A couple of you are right in the biggest this will be how the offensive line preforms this season. It has been a hinderence to WVU the past three years but a new coach and new system could change that around.

Hoping LSU will come into Morgantown undefeated and ranked from 2-3 in the nation. But there is a reason why Geno Smith is on the Heisman ballet for next season and WVU is the darkhorse favorite for the NT game. Dont expect a cake walk by any means.

If you plan of coming to the game make sure you get a couple bags of pepperoni rolls and stay away from the student tailgating

8. BamaboyinWV

BamaboyinWV Freshman

Really?

Geno Smith only threw 7 ints last year. Nice to see such a knowledgable group of football fans over here.

Geaux to espn or any other reputable site and do a little research before you make such moronic posts.

It'll be a close game, you didn't win by much in Death Valley, what makes you think you'll go to Morgantown and run them over?

9. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

You caught me. He threw four of the seven against my 2 teams to the left. That's probably why it seemed like more.

10. WVUeers

WVUeers Freshman

Don't kid yourselves, Mountaineer Field will be absolutely rocking on Sep 24th. It will not be an easy environment for your team and certainly not a cake walk.

However, you will have played MSU already on the road so your players should already have a taste of the road environment. Still, if you guys come in undefeated, you'll be #1 and it'll be the biggest home game since we played O$U in the late 90's to kick off the season when they were #1.

I would highly advise you guys to make the trip, I think you'll enjoy the atmosphere and tailgating. The Blue Lot is the place to be before the game all day long and High Street (with it's 20+ bars) will be rocking all weekend. We like to party, as do you guys, so I'd only assume you guys would enjoy your time up here.

As for our team, we'll be pretty good. I don't expect us to be an elite top 10 team but we should have a solid top 25 team with a worse defense and a much better, more explosive offense. Look out for Tavon Austin, he has All-American potential this year.

You guys will have the better team, but in college football we all know that talent advantage can be eliminated through a strong home field advantage and emotion.

Should be a great weekend, hope as many of you guys make the trip as possible.