what are some of the Best High School team of all time???

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerLifer3, Feb 26, 2003.

1. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

I got this idea of a hurricane board, and thought I would try it out here. over there they were talking of the best highschool football teams of all time and while I didn't post on their board it got me to thinking the best I have seen recently have been:

West Monroe's 96 team
    Evangel's 98 Team
    and John Curtis Team this year.

any opinions from the past or present??

just though this would help for a slow days.

2. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Brother Martin High School's 1971 team.

State Champions for 1971.

Best high school football team of all time.

That's my vote and I'm sticking to it.

3. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

1996 C.E. Byrd -that was the best team to ever lose in the first round of the playoffs. Lost by either 3 or 7 to defending state champ Neville. This Byrd team was 10-0 for the regular season and was Arnaz Battle's(star Notre Dame reciever) junior year. I beleive Byrd was ranked #1 for several weeks during the year. I feel that if the current seeding style of playoffs we have now been in effect back then, Byrd would have won the first playoff game because they would have been virtually guarenteed a top 3 seed.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Don't laugh. Cecilia Bulldogs undefeated AAA state champs in 1995. In their last 3 games, they ran the gauntlet of Evangel at Evangel. St. James at St. James and Karr at the Super dome. The team refused to lose.

5. BayouBengal

The Cecilia vs ECA game, was that the one where a helicopter had to land because a fan had a heartattack or something similar?

6. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

96 evangel team.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

That's correct. The fellow (Roland Champagne) had 2 sons play QB at the school (none that year) and was one of the program's biggest boosters. The excitement of the Evangel victory was too much for his heart. Regrettably, he passed away earlier this year.

8. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

NEVILLE finished # 7 in the usatoday poll and had the likes of Oliver Lawrence (LSU LB) Toby Caston (LSU LB and Detroit Lions)
    JR Ambrose (Ole Miss WR) and many more Division 1 and 1 AA players. I think Maruice Williams was on that team at Saftey who played QB at Tulane and Conroy Hines La Tech QB.

9. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

Bayou

Their were a lot of great Shreveport teams that lost in the First round to 2 5A teams. Stan Humphries had a very good Southwood team and lost in the first round to Ruston I believe.

10. BayouBengal

Re: Bayou

True, true. In 97 Byrd played West Monroe in the regular season and finished 9-1 with that one loss to WM. In the playoffs, we played Ruston and lost by 3 I think.

1998 Byrd goes 7-3 with one of the losses to WM in the regular season. Byrd gets a second shot at WM in the playoffs, out in the first round.

2000 Byrd goes 7-3. Plays Neville in the first round, lose by a field goal:mad:

2002 REDEMPTION!! Byrd beats West Monroe in the regular season. Byrd beats Jesuit in the first round, Catholic(BR) on the road, and lose by 1pt on a blocked PAT against Rummel(Nick Child blocked it). This team will deffinately go down as one of the best Byrd teams but did not have near the talent that the 1996 team had.