What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Mr. Peabody, Feb 2, 2004.

1. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

I am reading the 5th Harry Potter book currently. Many would believe these are for children, but they are written very well and keep even me, as an adult, very compelled. The character development is very good, and you get to feel attached to some of them as though you are part of the story.

In my previous job I read many books:

Who Moved My Cheese was a quick ready, but eye opening.
    Lincoln on Leadership was a great leader, that Lincoln
    Eat the Frog deals with procrastination, fascinatingly boring

I read passages from Good to Great, and if you are big business it has many good ideas in it if you can implement them.

2. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

Fantastic book. I usually don't read alot of non-fiction books, but I highly reccomend this one. It's not just for climbers. Heck, even my 85 year old grandmother enjoyed it, and she won't even get on a see-saw.

Band of Brothers is another good one.

Right now I am reading The DaVinci Code.

3. Macphisto

Macphisto Founding Member

I'm currently reading Noam Chomsky's new book Hegemony or Survival.

1 person likes this.
  4. JD

JD Founding Member

I read a couple of Flashmans about 20 years ago- funny stuff-is he still cranking out new ones?

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

6. ColonelHapablap

ColonelHapablap Founding Member

The Sapphire Rose by David Eddings. The Fiance' got me into this fantasy stuff, and now I'm addicted. I'm waiting to get "New Spring" by Robert Jordan, which I was supposed to get yesterday for the birthday. Also a Clancy fan, although his last left something to be desired.

And I'll second the comments about Douglas Adams. That guy is pure genious.

7. lsucorndog

lsucorndog Founding Member

The internet definely doesn't decrease my reading. It tripled it. I'm a history buff and the volumnes of archived material on the net is amazing. I'm on a religous reading kick right now. I read strictly non-ficton. Real life is way more intertaining. Read biographies of Herman "dr. holmes" Mudgett, Cesar Borgia, or Dracula. The historical texts from the 1400's Wallachia when the muslims overran constantinople and pushed into transylavania and wallachia(present day Romania?) about dracula are awesome. I believe they are making movies about Mudgett andCesar Borgia now. I am reading:

Usama ibn Munqidh-muslim chronicaler who lived in jersualem at the time of the third crusade. Was an emissary or diplomat who had contact with the christians on the highest levels. He reported on their customs and how they differed from his. The christians "knowledge" of medicine scared him!

Hadia Dajani-Shakeel- medevial accounts of Saladin's (Salah al Din) recovery of Jerusalem.

The
    conquest of Jerusalem and the third crusade- various sources

Preaching the crusades -mendicant friars and then cross in the thirteenth century.Christoph Maier

8. lsucorndog

P.S. Borgia and Dracula were both machiavellians. It makes for interesting reading. Alot of people don't know Dracula's father was a knight for the order of the dragon and crusade hero. Dracula was raised in the aristocratic Hungarian court with his mother until he was thirteen and spoke 5 languages. Then his father sends him and his brother to the muslims as collateral until he was 17. He learned torture from the muslims then used it on them. 20k christians stpped 250k+ muslims from the ottoman empire from pushing into europe after overrunning constantinople. The turks were literally stopped at his doorstep. His castle in tirgoviste.

9. lsucorndog

Sabanfan or Redd55, who wrote a book titled marine sniper? It was an autobiography. I don't think it was carlos. That was an awesome book.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Charles Henderson wrote the book. I haven't read it, but a quick web check show some good reviews. I'll put it on my "waiting to read" list.