What areas of the team will show the biggest difference next year?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by philter, Feb 10, 2005.

1. philter

philter Founding Member

The staff Miles put together is really good. All great coaches, better recruiters imo - I look for a behemoth class next year, but that's besides the point of this thread.

With all the solid hires, what areas of the team do you think will show the greatest differences (either improvement or regression)? I think these areas will be better because of the staff changes:

WRs:

The combination of Monken's coaching/coordinating and Jimbo/Miles calling more aggressive plays will turn our WRs into the threat we all knew/hoped they could/would be last year. Monken has good record of producing big WR years going back to La. Tech and OSU. I look for every starting WR to top what he did last year.

OL:
    Searles did a commendable job last year, but I think next year the addition of Miles and Henson will greatly help them be more consistent and play more coordinated within the line. Even though Henson is coaching TEs, he will get down and help the OL because of his pedigree. We have 2 ex-All American and 1 ex-All Conference OL on the staff next year.

ST:
    Peveto is my sleeper. I think he will turn out to be a very good asset, and if Pelini ever leaves he may step up to DC. The guy is very well rounded, and he's coached STs to #1 in his conference before. Monken's ST have also led the nation in punt return yardage a couple of times, so I think his influence on the staff will help here as well.

I think the quality of the DL will be as high as we've come to expect, but with the loss of Spears it may not surpass years past. There will be no dropoff however, and the younger players coming up will really benefit from Dunbar's teachings (if you'll notice the great DL of the recent past all were taught at some point by Pete Jenkins...Dunbar's early mentor).

The secondary I'm not sure. It's going to be tough to out do Saban when it comes to that, but we certainly have the staff to keep proudcing top DBs. Mallory doesn't have a long or overly impressive resume, but he comes from a long long line of football players/coaches, so it's not unreasonable to think he can coach. Peveto has coached DBs many times before, and had very good results...plus I think he is a really detail oriented guy that will excel at any position. Then we come to Pelini. While his responsibility is as DC only, he will help our secondary a lot imo - he's coached DBs in the NFL at two different teams under some very good mentors. (I don't buy the OU fans' theory he ruined their secondary singlehandedly)

I'm very excited about the next year, I think the coaches hired will improve greatly our weakest areas from last year - and sustain the success we've had in the other areas. Also the QBs next year will naturally progress, but I didn't include them because the QB coach was not an addition.

2. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

I think the biggest difference will be that the running game will become overwhelmingly dominate because of the improved play at the wideouts and at qb. Once pressure is taken off the running game, it will flurish like none other in the country (that doesnt run the triple option).

3. philter

philter Founding Member

I think the WR improvement and the OL improvement will boost our running game. I don't think our OL really played as a unit last year. It's difficult for all of them to be on the same page when you have to shuffle it around, so I'm not blaming anyone...that's just how I saw it. When you look at lines like the Denver Broncos or the NY Jets, you see average sized lines that dominate games with their scheme blocking. This is what I wish we would do more of, and I think we will have more input into the OL coaching in that regard with Miles and Henson on staff.

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I think Kicking will be much improved, but I don't think that will have to much to do with the staff.

5. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

I hope our specials teams improve infinitely... if our D can play up to par with the past few years, and our O can thrive under Miles system, we should be set. I went to a Husker board and asked about Pelini. They say he is a players coach, and liked him very much at Neb. He plays a soft zone oriented D, and sucks up alot of INT... I think he may play a little more balanced coverage at LSU though.

6. LSUGOLFER

LSUGOLFER Founding Member

I hope cornerbacks will be improved. It was not all that bad at DB this year but it was a let down from last year even with ALL AMERICAN C Dubb.

7. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

The passing game will almost certainly improve, w/ the QB and WRs having more experience and reps with each other. This should open up the running game, but probably not all that much more than last year.

I really don't see us taking a step back in the defensive secondary. Losing Spears is going to hurt big time. That guy was a game changer, with his speed and agility.

8. foreverlsu

foreverlsu Founding Member

I think we can all expect a more balanced offense next season with a dominant defense. Improvements at QB and WR will take pressure of the RB's and the offense strenghthen.

9. AUHansel

AUHansel Founding Member

what will show a difference or what needs to?

I know Jamarcus is young but the qb position is always critical. he will get a lot better if ryan doesn't beat him out in the spring. I think that yall need to focus on the running game so the passing game opens up. you have a good line and good backs which should create big gains and will be very critical to the improvement in the qb area. if russell has no pressure on him, yall will have a great season.

10. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

They shoud be better just due to experience but it is impossible to talk about this group w/o mentioning the QB's and vice versa, they are dependent on one another. We need consistency from everyone. We can't have the many dropped balls like we had last season, especially by Bowe. We need the WR's to run correct & precise routes and make good reads. Then we need the QB's to deliver the ball to them, get them the ball in open space, not throw balls behind them, etc.

Hopefully with the experience they have gotten all of these guys can do a better job than last year.