What caused the income inequality gap that started in the 70's?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUpride123, May 30, 2015.

1. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

Bull shit. Winston isn't being intellectually honest here and he knows it. As far as you are concerned, do you ever have an actual opinion of your own or are you one of those people who stand in the back ground yelling, "yeah, what he said!" For someone who talks a tough game on an internet chat forum that sure is a cowardly way to go about it.

red55 likes this.
  2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

He needed to be reminded of some facts. Like you.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

"Income Inequality" is just a buzzword for political rabblerousing. There has always been inequality between the incomes of the superrich and the middle class and the poor. It was a lot worse many years ago when the robber baron ruled the country. Didn't anybody read my post about John D Rockerfeller? His wealth was 1.5% of the national wealth. Throw in a few Mellons, Carnegies and Vanderbilts and a huge percentage of the wealth was concentrated in the hands of just a very few people.

shane0911 likes this.
  4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Wait what? Winston took him to task and didn't require any assistance, what's the big deal?

As for being tough, Internet tough guys are a dime a dozen and I'm not one of them. Perhaps you feel threatened in some way idk? Not me.

5. Tiger in NC

But Winston didn't really take him to task. The repeal of Glass-Steagall was a long-time and exhaustive effort on behalf of the banks and their lobbyist for many decades, starting in 1937 when the bill was first passed. So the answer to who is responsible for it's repeal is nuanced and messy. Throughout it's history it has been favored and disfavored by Republicans and Democrats alike.
    The final repeal of the bill did indeed occur by the stroke of Clinton's pen. That said, the sponsor of the bill was Phil Gramm and the congressional passage had to make it through both a Republican House and Senate. In fairness, I believe that, aside from a few sinister congressmen, most of the people who supported it's repeal in the 90's did so for honest reasons: believing it would help take the economy to even new heights. Perhaps they were swayed to believe this by lobbyists from the banks, nevertheless, it has turned out to be a disaster-riddled decision that needs to be rethought. I would actually support the repeal of Dodd-Frank if we could just re-instate Glass-Steagall. So, Winston's insistence that the collapse of our banking system fall on the lap of Bill Clinton alone is not correct. Did he play a part? Yup, no one is denying that. But it was also a different time and place in our economy.
    Maybe internet tough guy was a poor choice of words. That said, I never see you state your own beliefs about these issues, only supporting or chastising someone else's. Tell us what you think......we won't bite......hard. ;)

6. shane0911

Obama sucks, the Clintons are two of the biggest freaking crooks this country has ever seen and Red absolutely despises rich people.

How did I do?

7. Tiger in NC

you are a quick study I tell'ya....not bad

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You have the perception and analytical skills of a cantaloupe. I absolutely despise human cantaloupes.

shane0911 likes this.
  9. shane0911

But its a ripe one

10. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

@red55 and @Tiger in NC you all have taken broad swipes in accusing me of laying all the blame on Clinton. Red tried to lay it all on the Rs and implied that Billy C was just a passive bystander. That was is and always be BS as I have proved.
    The other point I made is that it's part of his legacy which it is. It is both because he was an active participant and it occurred during his presidency. Again both points accurate in fact and by all historical measure. It is just like he took credit for welfare reform and balancing the budget. Both of those were congressional R initiatives and he was brought to them kicking and screaming. He took credit as they proved popular and as they worked.
    Of course the Rs were involved and that was never denied. They share as much credit as they do for welfare reform and balancing the budget. When you or Red give them such you may have a better position.
    Finally I don't blame Clinton or those in power for 2008. As you said NC twenty years passed and significant changes occurred.

Tiger in NC likes this.