What coach can we get that is supposedly better than Miles?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by IslandTiger, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I have pretty good reading comprehension skills, or so said all the standardized tests I've taken in life. But apparently I missed the part where he said "Miles is, by far, the best coach in football". :huh:

Come on, CP. He didn't say Miles was better than your god Saban. He didn't say he was better than Urbane. He asked who CAN WE GET that is better than Miles. Why not provide an answer?

2. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

I think that Patterson or Peterson would do a pretty good job in Baton Rouge. Can I or anyone else guarantee that? Of course not. But those are the guys that cone to mind right away.

3. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I like Patterson. I like Peterson too...at Boise St.

1) I don't think Peterson's schemes would work in the SEC, HOWEVER...I didn't think Urbane's would either...
    2)Peterson will never coach anywhere but Boise St. He is not attainable.

4. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

1. Disagree - I haven't watch BSU all that much, but when I have, it seems like they run a multiple set offense similar to what we did back in '07. They can have pro sets and 4-5 WR formations, with a little spread option mixed in. I think his offense would be fine, especially given the athletes he'd have running it.

2. Agree, but it would be interesting to see him turn down 3-4 million per. That's generational money right there.

5. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Larry Dautrive

6. kluke

kluke Founding Member

1. Saban ain't coming - so 25% of you are going to still be disappointed
    2. Gruden ain't coming - or if he does it will be to use us till he gets back to the NFL - So 10% more of you will be disappointed
    3. I don't see an established big name coach that we lure from their current job; either they don't want us or we don't want them. Disappointment factor 15%
    So you're talking Paterson/Peterson or big name OC/DC. That equals gamble. OR

PLAN B - Miles brings in new offensive staff and they fix the problem. Chief does deffense, Miles does recruiting and CEO stuff (which he's good at) that's your choices. Dissappointment factore the 50% listed in 1, 2, and 3.

I think PLAN B has the best chance for long term success. But either way half the fans will be dissappointed.

1 person likes this.
  7. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

It isn't that there aren't better coaches than Miles, cuz there are. The problem is that those 7-8 coaches ain't leavin where they are and anybody else is a gamble. A gamble of can the exceed what Miles has done on and off the field and in recruiting. A gamble I'm not sure is worth taking for a 1 more win here and there and maybe being a MNC contender every 2 yrs rather than every 3 yrs.

8. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

We have a good chance of going 11-2 counting a bowl. Every team, every coach has a couple of off years requiring some rebuilding. That's no reason to panic. It's a good thing fans don't make the decisions.

9. Perple

Perple Founding Member

10. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I would add that when one considers the road blocks that Miles has faced over the past 3 seasons, loss of the heir apparent QB, forced to use not ready QB's, a defunct D coaching staff experiment that failed, an OC that can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag, that Miles despite all that has been able to keep this a winning program.These are the types of set backs that cause a program to crumble for 5-10 yrs, as we did in the 90's. The measuring stick for that potential set back is recruiting which thus far hasn't suffered 1 bit, and based on what our future recruiting classes are shaping up to be still isn't being effected.

In short, this is not a program in decline. Not yet at least, but if something isn't done to fix the OC problem soon, as in offseason, we could be.