What coach can we get that is supposedly better than Miles?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by IslandTiger, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Jack Russell

Jack Russell Veteran Member

How many thought Gene Chizik was a good hire at Auburn? Give him a year and a half there and he hands Miles's ass back to him. Good coaches are out there, and LSU is by far a better job than Auburn. Put out the Help Wanted sign and they will come.

2. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

See this is the problem with some of our and others fan bases. We actually believe this, when history shows other wise. There are several more storied programs than ours with longer winning traditions that believed this very same thing. It took them 20 yrs to recover from making that mistake.

1 person likes this.
  3. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Chizik struck lightening in a bottle with Newton. Let another 5 years go by before comparing the two. There are many examples of coaches that had quick starts (Dinardo, Coker at Miami etc) and were failures in the long run.

Lets wait & see before pronouncing Gene great.

4. Jack Russell

OK, then using that logic we should've never hired Miles, right? Here's a guy that has been a head coach for the first time at a 3rd tier football school. His record is just a little better than mediocre. Was there anything else that recommended him? I don't know, but I will bet there were better options out there who would have done an equally good job at LSU given what they inherited.

5. Jack Russell

Miles struck lightening in a bottle with a roster full of studs. Another 5 years has gone by and what? Do you see a program on the rise?

6. Bud Lee

Bud Lee Call me buttercup

Did the interwebs exist back then???

7. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

It is still full of studs and still a top tier program

Remember Saban was 8-5 after his NC at LSU. Look at Urban without Tebow, Mac Brown without Colt. Gee wasn't Richt a genius at Ga. How has Spurrier done at SC?
    This is the toughest conference in the world. There are 8-9 programs in the SEC that expect to be at the top every year. There is no on the rise when you get to the top. You hold on by your fingernails and every program is in the same situation.

8. Perple

Perple Founding Member

they think all these great coaches are just lining up for the LSU job. do they think other coaches don't see how some of the fans treated miles? he won more games than anyone here in 5 years and has a 7-1 team right now.

9. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

No I don't. I see a program that has a great shot at 10+ wins. That would be the 4th time in 6 years that Miles has accomplished that feat.

Go back and look at LSU historically. No other LSU coach has Miles' record.

Don't give me that revisionist history bit.

In the last 100 years of football, how many seasons has LSU won 77% of their games, or accomplished 10 wins? (77% = 10-3)

I say, back down. Ease up. Give Miles a chance to fix the O in the offseason.

10. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

Well since I know GP personally I can speak about him a little more accurately than you can based on what you read in the paper.

1. Patterson DOES NOT make the game day mistakes Miles does EVERY WEEk. He has forgotten more about defense than Miles will ever know.

2. I can't believe you can begin to suggest that Les Miles on a TV has not embarassed LSU more than a few times from the simple reason he does not do very well in that environment. As to the Ed Wesley incident, first, both individuals have settled the issue. Second, Ed Wesley played the next week. Third the entire issue was that there were questions as to the exact nature of the injury. It was not relayed to GP that there was a potential concussion. Wesley said he was fine the Dr. disagreed, he still did not play anymore that night. The part you TOTALLY miss is the game day intensity that Patterson brings to every game and he holds EVERY player and coach responsible for what they are supposed to be doing. I can tell you now that had GP been at LSU this year you would not have seen the mumbo jumbo press conf that say the same thing EVERY WEEK and THEN the game the next week looks just like the last one. Patterson does not have to gamble to win games.

3. Patterson has not kept TCU at an elite level???:insane:.......what year did he go 6-6.........2001, HIS FIRST SEASON. The 5-6 season was 2004 and that season came down to the last drive of the year when they lost the last game and kept them from a bowl game. Do you have ANY clue what it is like for them to keep playing at the level they are at this year and last with all the roadblocks in place from the BS of the BCS??? They have 8000K students including grad school for crying out loud. They have less than 50K alumni world wide.

4. The Fiesta Bowl, I was there, they lost............by 7 points, because of a fake punt in the last part of the game. They played the worst offensive game of the season and still only lost by 7. Patterson never has a problem saying he got out coached,(you think Peterson could out coach Miles?) but it will not happen very often. I think it ironic that Urban Meyer spent lots of time talking with GP about how to sack Sam Bradford in the MNC game...............why, because even though TCU lost AT Oklahoma to a very good team that year they still sacked Bradford multiple times and in fact turned in a defensive effort against them that was only equaled by Texas in the regular season. (2 teams held Oklahoma under 40 during reg season)

5. Zero BCS wins................how many times have they been allowed to go to a BCS game? This senior class this year has a chance to win 43 games, I don't care what level you play, that is consistent winning. My son's last team went 11-1 and played in Houston!
    How many big time schools have NO BCS trips, NO BCS wins, a losing BCS record??? Your point is??????:confused::confused::confused: Yes they are in a fertile recruiting area and you can bet there are reasons the Big12 has not already extended an offer. The Big 2, Oklahoma and Texas don't want TCU taking anymore of their DFW/Houston recruits than they do now, don't want to ever level the playing field. Throw in the baseball team and the problem gets even worse.

6. If averaging over 10 wins a year for 4 years isn't elite what is?????

1 person likes this.