What coach can we get that is supposedly better than Miles?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by IslandTiger, Oct 27, 2010.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

i pretty much agree with everything you said, but i just wanted to point out that Les is averaging 10 wins a season since 05, and it isn't enough for people.

2. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

It is not what Les Miles has done, it is the very disturbing trend that is apparent to anyone that watches an LSU game. LSU fans every week are wondering how many more rabbits are in the LSU Miles hat. It is the fact
    that he has had a QB problem for 3 years and virtually done nothing about it. What is disturbing to me is how these guys got here to start with. Auburn has had QB problems that last couple of years also, they have finally figured it out.

I cannot believe that the other two QB's on LSU roster can be any worse than the two that have played this season. I would have thought that Bailey would have played by now. I have no personal issue with Jefferson or Lee and they have both shown a lot of grit to keep trying but the bottom line is their production is not very good.

LSU's record speaks for itself, but if you had to bet, what do you think it will do??? I am a little afraid that recruits are going to start chaning their minds, other coaches don't mind bringing up the "shortcomings" of the LSU program which are mounting every week. Many seem to keep justifying Miles blunders week after week by what he did last year or the one before. As we saw against Auburn the luck ran out and we are very "lucky" the score was not much worse based on the Auburn offense that day. Based on what you saw, what are your expectations for Alabama and Arkansas.............can anyone say with any confidence that both those games will be wins???

I am an LSU fan just like everyone on this forum and have been writing checks to TAF for a very long time and don't even have season tics. I want LSU to win just as much as anyone else but following 2 teams as close as I do, the coaching differences are monumental and very obvious.
    I don't want Patterson to leave TCU, but I know that LSU is one of the VERY FEW jobs he will listen to as long as TCU is not in an AQ conf. If TCU/or Utah and Boise finish undefeated and are jumped by 1 loss teams from ANY conf other than SEC you will see chaos in the BCS, ESPECIALLY with the track record of the Big East.:lsup:

1 person likes this.
  3. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I see what you are trying to say, but you cannot use the same philosophy today as was 6-10 yrs ago. LSU is not even close to the same program we were then. As much as I don't like talking positive about Saban, I will give him his due in many respects. Saban was a visionary, he saw LSU as a sleeping giant waiting to be woken up. Fans were grasping and hoping for a coach who could come in and bring LSU to at least a winning program. Saban did that, and more. LSU took a chance then on a coach that hadn't really done anything to speak of, but was an up and comer with some very high potential. It worked out.

When it came time to replace Saban, it was for the reason of he left to better himself. He wasn't run off, he didn't get fired, but was leaving a program that was now repaired and starting to become a powerhouse. A definition that never really applied to LSU. We were, for the most part a team always up and down. Going thru periods of exceptional highs to exceptional lows, but not a perennial powerhouse. In selecting Miles, what we saw was another opportunity to grab another up and comer who had shown he could take a program, Okie St, that was a perennial door mat, and made them into a contender in their conference. We weren't a program that had their choice of who we could go after, we weren't a program considered a perennial powerhouse, yet.

Miles came in and has done what was expected, and to some degree exceeded those expectations, he managed the program that was on its way to the top, and then brought us to the top, and has kept us there. All programs go thru down periods, ALL OF THEM, and that is where we have been over the past 2 seasons. This season has the potential to be back where we, the fans, expect and want us to be.

And there is the key, the fans 10 yrs ago wanted a winning team, the fans now expect a championship team. We are now a perennial power house with a fan base that expects us to be in the conversation of MNC's every yr. Any coach who takes this job will come in knowing that. The difference between replacing a coach that leaves like and when Saban did, is nothing like having to replace a coach like Miles with a program at our level, should Miles either be fired or leave because he is pressured out.

The perception of the possible coaches out there that are better than Miles would not be favorable. This program now can't afford to take gambles on a coach. We aren't a program in repair or a program just getting back on top. We are a program that has been riding high for over a decade now and the coach that comes in is going to have to be one with a proven track record of winning at our level of competition.

Not an easy task!!!!!!

4. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

X eleventy billion.

I find it funny people want a new coach when the one we have is successful.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Give me a break. Nick and Les had almost identical qualifications when hired.

Both had assistant coaching experience at BCS conference football programs. Both had NFL assistant coaching experience. Both were successful head coaches at BCS conference schools where they were the second biggest team in the state. Both were looking for an opportunity to coach in the SEC at a school that was the flagship in the state.

LSU still offers a team full of talent, a winning football tradition, top recruiting potential, flagship status, and unparalleled exposure and attention in the SEC. Whenever LSU decides to hire a new coach, top talent will be found. It's not going to be an established top-coach stolen from another top-10 school where coaches are set for life. He's going to be and promising and ambitious younger coach found at another Michigan State or Oklahoma State.

6. ScottforJC

ScottforJC It's never over until God says its over-Sid Ortis

You simply cannot overlook Miles' record at LSU. I'm not an expert on the other coaches out there that would consider coming to LSU, but based on the posts in this thread, I do not see a viable option. And, as has been said on here before, if we fire the winningest coach in LSU history, who would want to take the job after him? Only some unproven-in-the-SEC wannabe and that's a risk.

What I see from opposing fans is fear of Miles -- really. Yes, they talk about him being an idiot, how he talks funny and all that junk. Bottom line though is that they are afraid of him because he just might pull one of his famous gambles out of his ear and beat them in the final minutes of the game.

We need to realize that while he's different, he wins, the players and their parents love him, he is slow to fix things but he does eventually fix them and the "Miles mystique" or whatever you want to call it is intimidating to the opposition.

Give him a chance -- Crowton will be gone after this year and our offense and defense will improve next year.

:geaux:

7. cywar1

cywar1 BIGG DOGG

BOTTOM LINE .. none of the guys mentioned are SEC CALIBER coaches ..(sarcasm)

once again..THAT HAS TO BE THE DUMBEST STATEMENT I EVER HEARD..

8. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

You're right. I don't think he's attainable. However, I think you're wrong about his schemes. I think too many people base their opinion of his offense from the Fiesta Bowl againts Oklahoma. Sure, they run trick plays at times, But it's not like their offense is based on trick plays. They establish the run, then run play action off of that. They always seem to counter what the defense throws at them. If the defense is blitzing alot, they'll hit them with alot of screens. It's cliche, but they take what the defense gives them. It's a very sound offense, not gimmicky at all IMO.

9. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

This. And if/when Malzahn gets offered a HC gig, Chizik will be revealed.

10. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

So, you didn't like my "smart ask" comment?

Get over it. There are plenty of those around here.

My god Saban? Dude, you are aligning yourself with the loony pack more and more every day. You really do love Miles... a lot.

I can't stand Saban. He's a lying, arrogant a-hole who basically took a giant dump on LSU when he came back to coach an SEC rival. But that doesn't change the fact that he's a better coach than Miles by a long shot. I can just admit it without worrying about what other people may think. Too bad others are so scared to mention his name in fear of being labeled a Saban-lover or Saban-worshipper.

And I knew exactly what the OP was asking, but with this being yet another "I must convince them Miles is the best we can get" thread, I posted like the pumpers do when someone posts an anti-Miles thread - sarcastically.

Get over it.