what do you guys think our biggest rivals are and why??

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerLifer3, Oct 24, 2002.

1. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

I got this idea off a Texas Message forum as my sister is going to the University of Texas..They had a thread going of who their biggest rivals where and why?? so I thought I try to get that going here....I will ask for 3 but I will list 5

1. Tulane (the our like our kid brothers and I like to see us play them every year)
    2. Auburn (cause of Coach Tuberville)
    3. Texas A&M (simply cause I hate them worser than even auburn)
    4. Mississippi St (cause Jackie Sherrill is no better than Tuberville)
    5. Ole miss(cause I know you will have them listed, don't really hate them one of my brother's friends plays for them now, Chad Pilcher backup RB)

this is a post I thought maybe we could have some fun with.

2. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

I would list them like this.

1) Tulane (Old traditions die hard. We SHOULD be playing every year)
    2) Auburn (The team we love to hate. We are more cordial to Tulane now)
    3) Arkansas (We've had some great games with them, Friday after Thanksgiving and The Boot have become good traditions)
    4) Alabama (We really want to even the series and shut them up)
    5) Ole Miss (Great games from the distant and recent past make this one a great series)

If we could start playing Texas and Texas A&M again, they could be strong rivals too.

3. la tigra

la tigra Freshman

Tulane- who cares about Tulane? I don't think of it as a rivalry at all. I think both teams have an equal chance of winning to be a rivalry
    My picks:
    1) Ole Miss- know too many daddy's girls and boys who went there (and yes some of them are my friends, which makes it worse when we lose)
    2)bama- ditto to even-ing (?) up the series
    3) auburn
    these are not most hated teams- Notre Dame would lead that list.....

4. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

But wait...wouldnt that pretty much eliminate eveybody? :D

5. la tigra

la tigra Freshman

I wish!!!

6. GMTarondor

GMTarondor Founding Member

My current list would be as follows: Keep in mind I've been a Tiger Fan for only 10 years. Hate to say it but I'm origianlly from New York. But I fell in love with Louisiana (married a beautiful Cajun girl), LSU and the south! So what does that make me?

1) Auburn (I love to hate 'em.) Pretty simple..it's an emotional rush. Their attitudes and antics aimed at LSU and the state of Louisiana in general does inflame the soul.

2) Arkansas (You can't believe the comments I get from them when they win against our Tigers up here) I think this one will become more and more of a rivalry. The Boot was a great idea and good for LSU-Arkansas football.

3) Alabama (It was great to be at the Game two years ago when the Tigers beat them in Baton Rouge) I get along well with most "Bama" fans but they sure like talking up the "series". A good firned a I bet 50.00 every year on this one. I gamble once a year!

I think the LSU-Texas A&M rivalry was great and would intensify more if they played each other every year. I don't think the LSU vs. any current in state school will develop into a major thing due to the quality of the games. It's great to see the $$$ stay in LA. but...

Oh well, just my comment..have a great day!

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

A rivalry with Tulane is like a rivalry between a hammer and a nail!

8. GMTarondor

GMTarondor Founding Member

Yeah, my wife and I have season tickets. I give alot of them away to some of my clients and friends but I get down for at several games each year. I will be there for the Ole Miss and Bama games.

9. Tiger Sam

Tiger Sam Freshman

Okay, I grew up in Baton Rouge but I feel like I have missed something - I have really never understood why we are trying to develop a rivalry with Arkansas - who cares? As far as Tulane goes, or any other in-state school for that matter, only if you are talking Baseball. I assume we are talking football...

1. Alabama - everybody in BR hated Bama when I was growing up. I think I was 8 when I wrote "Bama sucks" in shoe polish on a Bama-fan neighbors driveway.
    2. Florida - just cause we beat them handily this year doesn't eliminate the fact that over the last several (Spurrier) years we have grown to hate them more and more!
    3. Toss up between Ole Miss and Auburn - though I feel like I must have missed the AU game last year, reading some of the posts lately.

I would say A&M, cause they were top 3 while I was at LSU, but since we haven't played them in recent years it is dying down. The only jokes I learned growing up were Aggie Jokes!!!!

GEAUX TIGERS!

10. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

I would disagree about Bama and Florida to the extent that they don't consider us their main rivals. Bama has Auburn and Tennessee, and Florida has FSU, UGA and, to a lesser extent, Miami. However, many Ole Miss fans see us as bigger rivals than MSU.

A true rivalry must work both ways. Of those listed, only Ole Miss really works under this scenario. And, like it or not, they have had our number over the last few years. So, since we don't play Tulane often enough anymore, I believe that Ole Miss is our biggest (and only "true") rival.