What do you think about Larry Bird's comments?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LOTTERY, Jun 11, 2004.

1. LOTTERY

LOTTERY Founding Member

What do you think?

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I only heard excerpts, mainly the part where he said he was insulted when they put a white guy guarding him and the part about the league needs more white players because the majority of fans are white and that white foreigners don't count (to paraphrase). I also heard him say that the league will continue to be made up of predominately black players because they are the best players.

I had no problem with his comments but, like most people, I cringe when people start talking about "black" this or "white" that because we are conditioned not to be offensive to overly sensitive people.

3. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I saw the interview and what he said wasn't bad, not that i agree with all of what he said but if you heard the questions asked and his entire answer it wasn't bad. The black white topic was brought up by direct black white questions from the interviewer. I also liked how L .James answered the same questions, he seems mature beyond his age and smarter than many people give him credit for being. I really hope that this doesn't get blown out of proportion because it wasn't that big of a deal. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :thumb:

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

i like it when people speak their mind. even if larry was wrong i would be glad he said it.

doesnt seem all that different than what rush limbaugh said, but larry isnt a conservative commentator, so people will let him slide.

if there is one thing i dont like it is when people get angry over race issues. i want the right to make fun of any and all races and people for any reason, with nothing off limits. i want to drop n bombs all the time and be as insensitive as possible.

i also think that if larry had made the statement and said "less black" instead of "more white", it would have been amusing to see the reactions even though those are almost logically equivalent statements.

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Not a big deal.

As a sidenote, Carmello Anthony is dumb as a brick. Thank goodness he doesn't throw up bricks when he shoots or he would be in trouble.

Talk about a total failure in his attempt to be insightful.

LeBron on the other hand, is a fairly intelligent guy and will represent the NBA very well for years to come (in the same way as Jordan has).

6. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

Larry Bird is a fool. Basketball at one time was made up of white jewish guys. Yes it is a black dominated sport now. But who is he to say it will always be a black man's sport. Take James and Anthony out of that interview and Bird would be tar and feathered for making racist comments. Jimmy the greek and others have made similar comments and been fired. Larry Bird gets a free ride. :angry: :cuss: :mad: :angryfire :po:
    Ran out of smilies

7. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Did you see the interview? :confused: :confused: :confused: I don't think he meant his comments to be racist in any way. Also what Jimmy the Greek was fired for is now an accepted fact and is commonly talked about by both black and white sports journalists. :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis:

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

BULLSH!T Whether you like it or not Bird spoke the truth. Just as Jimmy the Greek and Rush Limbaugh spoke the truth. Bird won't be a politcal correctness victim like the Greek and Rush but nobody should be. And when in the hell was basketball mostly white Jewish guys? Except for the team owners.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

this kind of anger over race issues is exactly what is wrong. let people say what they want without getting indignant and self-reighteous. let people say what they believe is true without holding them to some incredibly retarded politically correct standard.

martin's universal truth of life number 3: given an opportunity to get unnecessarily angry over something, a stupid person will take it.

10. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

I must have missed them, but what are M.U.T.O.L.'s #1 & #2 ????

Is there a pamphlet, essay, soliloquy, diatribe, book, or mini-series forthcoming?

I don't know about you, but this is making me mad!!!!!! :cuss: