What do you think about Larry Bird's comments?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LOTTERY, Jun 11, 2004.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

And while you do that, I am coming up with the 5 best black female bowlers of all time. I can think of 3 right off the top of my head......hmmmmmmm

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You know bowling a lot better than I do. I can't even think of 5 great white male bowlers. The only 2 bowling names I can even think of are Dick Weber and his son Pete. Did they invent the Weber grill?

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

there was an earl anthony i remember seeing when I was about 5 yrs old. is this correct?

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Tayshaun Prince.

5. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

there's white guys in the NBA? :shock: where? :disbelief:

6. lsugrad00

lsugrad00 Founding Member

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: now that's funny :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

7. islstl

Yes this is correct. He is one of the legends of the game.

I don't watch bowling actually. And of course my post was a joke about the black female bowlers. But have you seen how they introduce the bowlers nowadays, at least when ESPN broadcasts the event?

It's funny, they got like fog machines or sumpin and it has the appearance of the way the Bulls and other NBA teams announce their starting lineups before the game. It's a whole big production. Frickin hilarious. Bowlers, mind you.

8. islstl

This is funnier than the Teyshaun Prince answer. At least Teyshaun is in touch with his culture. David Robinson however is the whitest black man in America. :hihi:

9. islstl

So let's take this into another arena.

Women's golf. I just saw the leaderboard at this week's LPGA event and it's littered with Asians.

At the current pace/trend, women's golf in another 10 years will most likely be dominated by Asians. So will this have an effect on the American audience?

What Larry Bird has brought to the forefront here is a legitimate issue.

10. M.O.M

M.O.M Founding Member

One school of thought to explain the over represenation of black players in the NBA is that basketball is seen as a way out of poor communities.
    Hence the large number of Native American and poor white Appalachian kids in the NBA.
    Actually I've seen no scientific reason for the disparity and over representation of black athletes, nor do I anticipate any uproar over the low percentage of non-black athletes in the NBA or NFL. Or at least nowhere near the uproar over the lack of black athletes in NASCAR, NHL and MLB where *outreach* efforts are picking up alot of steam.
    I maintain, however, that sports, particularly college sports in the South and professional sports in the Northeast and Midwest have done more for race relations than any legislation or litigation.
    You'll hear the most rock-ribbed conservative blast social welfare programs at every opportunity except one, the fact that a large percentage of college athletes, particularly football and basketball, come from families who depended on social welfare programs at one point, if not all, of their pre-teen years.