What do you think about this?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by saltyone, Apr 14, 2006.

1. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

true, props. i knew i was being baited though. some things are impossible to resist.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

we should treat all cases where peeps are accused of speech crimes as if they are ridiculous and it is obvious to us that we as a collective have decided that free speech should be respected.

i am aware that many people/countries do not respect the freedom of speech. it should be universally acknowledged that they dont understand human nature and politics well enough to accept the way things should be. similar to the way they would be treated if they thought murder was acceptable (dont take the abortion argument bait here 157!).

3. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

No, I am stating this as a fact. A person has the right to free speech, no matter their country of origin. Our fore fathers said it was a right endowed by the Creator. They were right. If something is endowed by God it is universaly true.

If you don't beleive in universal rights then the Constitution has no value to you.

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Why?

I believe that we are theoretically born with all rights - there are no rules placed upon us.

However, society takes away some of our rights. So you only have the rights that your society (country/gov't) gives you.

5. LSUsupaFan

If is ok for something to be taken away, then it isn't n inherent right. If society limits your speech that is wrong, because the freedom of speech is an inherent right.

6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I dunno...

I'm torn on whether it is an inherent right or just should be an inherent right.

No one thought this was an inherent right 500 years ago, and that makes me question how inherent it really is.

7. LSUsupaFan

I bet alot of people thought it was inherent, but tyranical governments surpressed them from excercising it.

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I don't think "a lot". It was considered a radical new philosophy when the founding fathers announced it as an inherent right.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

when i say "inherent", i mean "should be". obviously there is no such thing as inherent, as in like imbued into us naturally or whatever. i mean it in the sense that it should be pretty obvious to everyone and accepted as an unquestioned rational reality of humanity that everyone gets freedom of speech.

ps. i like to spell a lot as alot also.

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Well I can agree with that.