What do you think about this?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by saltyone, Apr 14, 2006.

1. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

Tell that to all the people who spoke out against Saddam. Oh wait you can't, because they were all murdered.

I swore to defend the Constitution of U.S., including the flag. Placing a flag of another country above ours is quite possibly one of the most disrespectful acts a foreigner (or citizen, for that matter) in THIS country could do. It's not right, nor should it be. And if you think it's ok for somebody to do that, then I have a problem with you.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

marine oath:

"I (your name) do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; That I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."

i see no mention of the flag there. did you do a lagniappe oath where you swore to defend the flag?

3. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

Implied, my friend. We don't stop and salute the flag anytime it's being raised or lowered for nothing.

:usaflagwa

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

you salute a flag because of what it stands for, not what it is physically. you salute freedom and whatnot, not cotton and polyester. you cant burn freedom.

5. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Well you have a problem with me. I respect someone's right to free speech even when I hate what they say or how they excercise it. I will say it again. The freedom of speech does not only apply to the speech we like, but also to the speech we hate.

6. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

martin remember when Dr. Zoidberg ate Ole Freebie? Man that was the best episode of Futurma. I wish all the folks who thing flag burning = anti-patriotism could see it.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i think the majority who have no problem with it are ones who never have and never will serve.

i wonder what that means.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

really, my father and grandfather dont mind, and they have a combined 70 years or so in the military.

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

was just a hunch. maybe when they were younger and grew out of it? ask 'em Ill ask mine.

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

you guys remind me of those muslims who got mad at the cartoons. a representation of muhammad being desecrated for them, a couple stars and bars for you. same thing pretty much, symbolism over substance.