What do you think of Phil Martelli?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MikeD, Mar 23, 2004.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

no, that is where you are wrong. I am not a supporter. I am withholding my judgment of him until the end of next year. I think he has has his moments but i also see his downfalls. Which is greater? I am leaning to the latter but I still think he can prove me wrong but i am unsure. I like his anti media attitude but not his anti fan sentiment. I don't like fans knee jerk reaction because they went in a tailspin when jaime left. Everyone piles on when times are rough. He has had bad luck but he has caused some himself. He needs to address attrition. He is a good defensive coach. He is not stupid. He has had bad luck....however his ability to adapt is lacking. I sure hope he learns to knowing he is on the end of the rope. I respect John Brady as a person and as a coach.... I do not respect him when/if he disrespects a fan or anyone else who supports our program.

2. Jwho77

Jwho77 Founding Member

Good podt, Tirk. I agree with the points that you make. I ahev not been happy with Brady Ball for years now. I enjoyed his one quality season, but I also think that the players maxed out the potential for that team until their lack of preparation in the Wisconsin Sweet 16 game highlighted Brady's shortcomings again. I do not think Brady understands how to coach offense or how to utilize offensive talent.

Yes, I think most of Brady's teams have played decent defense, but we do not play the kind of defense that his philosophy demands. We don't build (recruit) a Pitt-type teams of bruisers to fit the philosphy. I also think such a philosophy limits the potential of most programs. It is hard to recruit with that style. In fact, coaches usually resort to that style because of the recruiting disadvantages of a program.

I think a big time winner in college basketball has to be resourceful. You need to be able to play any kind fo tempo and win. Brady wants to slow down his teams and rely on defense, but, unless you have Jabari Smith and Stromile Swift inside the paint, that strategy will not work. Even last year, it took Brady a long time to figure out that his talent dictated a faster pace; his smaller, outside shooting oriented team really took off when we gave in and allowed them to push the ball up court and bomb away from 3-point range whenever possible. IT took him too long (1-6 to start SEC play), but the team was fortunate to get so hot that it surged into the NCAAs.

I know that LA and surrounding states have enough talent for a coahc to build a super program that wins and entertains every year. Brady's teams have consistently done neither, so I am tired of it like many Tiger fans. I do not see John Brady bringing a National Championship and a consistent Top-25 team to LSU. Sure, he may win enough next year to save his job; with the talent on hand (aka mostly LA that any coach would be able to garner for LSU), he has no excuse not to win big. But, will it last? Will more players leave? Will more players that stay fail to develop their talent up to their potential? I don't trust it.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

well its easy to be negative on him given the downfall this team has had. If he had kept jaime with the 17-4 record then no one would have an argument. Odds are we would have lost out the 2nd rd of the ncaa at worst equal to stanford or gonzaga who has been heralded all yr. we beat bama twice who is in the sweet 16 and UAB. I don't discount the good just because i see the bad also. There are a lot of things that you overlook in brady's teams because of his attitude. Most people do and that is his downfall....and its deserved. He has to face the music when he rubs people the wrong way... and HE DOES.
    However, before this season...over the last 4 yrs he has had more wins in the sec west except for alabama and that was one less. So basically he has the most wins of any team as of this year over the last 5 years if my recollection is right.
    His defensive schemes lead to his success.... his lack of a pg is his downfall. Tack, while many think he should start and whipple should sit is false for his type of scheme (IMO). Too many turnovers and he doesn't distribute the ball when he should. Bass not asserting himself when JL left the team was the difference. He played like the freshman he was but he will grow as a player. Can Brady grow as a coach? I am not sure and his stubbornness as everyone else who is against him can see....may be his downfall. I will reserve judgment til next year and let's hope he can learn from his mistakes. He will be here and so will this team so let's support them both til his fate is determined.

4. Purple Jungle

Purple Jungle Founding Member

Martelli is just doing great work for his program by doing all of those shows.

I don't expect St. Joe's to have this good of a team next year. Martelli is just using every opportunity to get the team's name out there on a national level. He might be well known in the tri-state area, but I had never heard of him.

He did a very smart thing by attracting all of the negative feelings about his team upon himself. Let's face it. There are a lot of people in the country that aren't fans of St. Joe's, Billy Packer included. Packer's comments were out of line.

And by the way, the team can't practice 24 hours a day. There are rules about practice hours. Martelli probably spent three hours doing those interviews. Every coach has scheduled times that they do these media blocks.

5. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

tirk, you've made many good points about Brady on this thread. I agree with most everything said in this post:

no, that is where you are wrong. I am not a supporter. I am withholding my judgment of him until the end of next year. I think he has has his moments but i also see his downfalls. Which is greater? I am leaning to the latter but I still think he can prove me wrong but i am unsure. I like his anti media attitude but not his anti fan sentiment. I don't like fans knee jerk reaction because they went in a tailspin when jaime left. Everyone piles on when times are rough. He has had bad luck but he has caused some himself. He needs to address attrition. He is a good defensive coach. He is not stupid. He has had bad luck....however his ability to adapt is lacking. I sure hope he learns to knowing he is on the end of the rope. I respect John Brady as a person and as a coach.... I do not respect him when/if he disrespects a fan or anyone else who supports our program.