What do you think of the new bats.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal Buddy, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Starting next year all colleges will have to switch to new bats that have the sweet spot shrink from 22 inches to 5 inches. This is expected to cut down on the speed of the ball resulting in fewer - much fewer - home runs, lower batting averages and better ERAs. The purpose of the change is to make for a safer game, after one player was killed by being struck in the head by a ball. The new bats hit more like wooden bats but without the weight and mass. I am curious how fans feel about the new bats and the changes they will bring about in the game.

2. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

As a former high school player and lifelong college baseball fan, I'm all for it. I'm sure major league scouts are happy about it too, projecting which player's power will translate from aluminum to wood has always been the hardest part of their jobs.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Aluminum bats should have always been made to resemble a wooden bat in feel and power. That being said . . . we would be foolish to downgrade the game based on one person being killed. Many have been killed by wooden bats, too. It's always a freak accident, but it happens.

We will end up playing whiffle-ball with foam bats if safety is the overriding concern in baseball.

4. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Aluminum bats should be done away with altogether. Wooden bats all the way, at every level of the game.

:geauxtige

5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i'm gonna say it now, and get the elephant out of the closet (or something like that)....

bunt.

6. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I had no idea that the bama mascot was gay. :hihi:

7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

They are going to a BBCOR bat which as stated will make the aluminum bats have a BESR (bat exit speed rating) similar to that of a wood bat. Easton and the larger bat makers should be fine but for those not able to produce them it will kill their market share. The HS here have until next year I think to make the switch but I am already moving Greyson to a wood bat. He is hitting a composite now that is just now broken in right and the ball is screaming off of that thing. I personally don't like the move but that is because my son isn't a pitcher. I'm sure if I had teeth 60'6" away from the plate I'd change my mind.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

We've got to get that boy a nickname. How about "Ty"?

Why not just make the pitcher's wear goalie masks and helmets and then we could all have gorilla ball again.

9. vshouse

vshouse Veteran Member

Great point shane....your exactly right, i'm a highschool official, it's becoming a transition to the wooden bats....and personall i do not have a problem with it.

10. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

Been preaching that same sentiment for years. I don't like aluminum bats and wish they'd go away at all levels of baseball. However, because that will not likely happen in my lifetime I agree with Coach Mainieri, who was vehemently against the change in the aluminum bats. CPM said that the one reason people like the college game over the pro game is because of the offensive numbers. He said the offensive makes the games exciting and brings people to the ballpark, to which I agree.