What does it mean to be conservative and Republican today?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Winston1, Dec 11, 2017.

1. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

I want the government out of our lives to the greatest extent possible...i dont care what you put in your body, but dont come calling to me when your shit goes south. I believe the federal government must be restrained and that power must be pushed to the lowest possible level. Obama and Trump are the perfect examples of why we need to take power away from Washington. My positions don't allow me to fully agree with the liberals or conservatives.

mctiger and watson1880 like this.
  2. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

Strong defense, low taxes, 2nd amendment, religious freedom, personal responsibility, limited gov't in our lives

3. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Being conservative is anything Pelosi, Schumer, Rex and you are for. I am for any Republican who believes the opposite of you 4 guys.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  4. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

There is so much information available today, it is hard to imagine a person fitting neatly into a category.

A couple of examples. Conservatives want small government, but want government to decide on (ban) abortion. Liberals are for an expansive First Amendment, yet want to restrict reference to religion, and are pushing to tear down monuments.

I routinely take those asinine internet quizzes to determine liberal or conservative. I am ALWAYS 45% +/- 3% EACH, with the balance Liberterian.

I detest single issue voting, but find it hard to vote for any of the morons at the national level. I’m at the point now of voting for the person with greatest integrity, regardless of political persuasion!

5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

So here’s my take. Fundamentally I believe in the proposition laid down by the Constitution and as explained by the federalist papers. We face a dual challenge much the same as our forefathers did in 1789. How do you have a government that is strong enough to protect and allow its citizens to prosper yet at the same time prevent the government from becoming overbearing and tyrannical? That requires a citizenry that is educated, responsible and self reliant. That requires room for open and vigorous debate as no two people see everything the same. That requires real limits and division of the power of the state. That requires a people with sufficient will and power to control the state. However there was, is and always will be a need for the state to rein in individuals who become too powerful and prevent them from oligarchy formal or informal.

Frankly I think the constitution does this brilliantly and I look to it and what Hamilton, Washington and others intended when it was crafted. Likewise I have to understand that their world is radically different technologically from today. May things they couldn’t imagine are common. This requires adaptation ie as much as I like the 10th amendment we can’t have 50 FAAs controlling air travel. I can’t believe when Monroe declared his doctrine or when Jefferson sent the Marines and Navy to Tripoli they saw us as the world girdling superpower we are.
    They weren’t perfect, but flawed..... something they understood and allowed for. They gave us the means to adapt and for the most part we’ve done well. They expected change but knew it would take bedrock values to preserve what they had wrought. That’s why education was part of the first act of congress (I think). The Northwest Territory Act established that every township have a school. They believed that only responsible citizens could maintain a functioning government and society so limits on voting were set.
    So it with this background that I try to evaluate issues and people. How do they or the proposed law take the principles of the constitution and founding fathers and put it into action today.
    Historically the republicans have hewed closer to this ideal so I’ve supported them. Unfortunately recent candidates like Trump and Moore and lack of courage and resolution by people like Ryan and McConnell have tested my faith in the party.
    However I remain a strong believer in the conservative principles I note above.

6. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Moe if you think that you prove your ignorance.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

. Agree

HalloweenRun likes this.
  8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

So exactly the opposite of what politicians want their electorate to be.

Bengal B and Winston1 like this.
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Most American probably fall into that category. I think of myself as a libertarian conservative. If I talked with different people about different issues some would call me a right winger just inches from the left of Rush Limbaugh and other people would call me a pinko libtard. A lot of that falls on each individual's perception of whatever issue and what attachment they have to the issue. There can almost never be a consensus of opinion on the broad spectrum between what is label conservatism and what is labeled liberalism and by who and by how many.

An example of the gist of what I mean is I am a staunch defender of our second amendment right to bear arms and a Life Member of the NRA. One time I told this guy I wished the NRA would stop sending me so much of their slickly printed and expensive material and spend the money sending it to the unconvinced. The guy (he was from Arkansas so he must have been a hillbilly) got very pissed off that I was saying anything negative about the NRA.

10. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Isn’t it a shame. The founding fathers made it a part the core beliefs and we’ve seen it steadily eroded this last 50-60 years.