What exactly did Price do wrong?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by J_Oats, May 4, 2003.

1. J_Oats

J_Oats Founding Member

I've posted this before, but it vanished.

Because, for the life of me, I can't figure out what he did wrong. If they fired him for anything less than paying a women for sex, than the university should just disband its sports program. If they fired him for going to a titty bar, I don't even know how to express how ridiculous that would be. If they fired him for paying for sex, they better have more to go on than unsubstantiated reports of a women charging $1000 to his room.

I have always disliked Bama more than any of the other SEC teams, because of their fans pompous, "everyone is jealous of us" attitude, when nobody is. But the way they have handled this little, minor, inconsuqential slip-up(I'm hard pressed to even call it that, going to a titty bar, even having an affair are not fireable offenses, and since I doubt they have any real proof of prostitution going on, I just cannot understand why they did this) by their brand new football coach, I have absolutly no respect for they higher ups at that university, and they deserve every bad this that is coming to them, because they created this mess. Intead of saying "so he went to a strip club, so what." They fired the man, un-freaking believable.

I still cannot believe this, why did they fire him?

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I agree. Seems like a gigantic overreaction to me. They threw out the baby with the bath water.

3. eric d

eric d Founding Member

I couldn't disagree with you any more. Even if they don't have proof that she was a prostitue, they do have proof that he took a stripper back to his hotel and ran up $1,000 in charges for food. Not only that, it was the school's card that he used. Oh yeah, he wasn't even the coach yet because he hasn't signed a contract yet.

4. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

J Oats

I posted this right after you asked the question, but with the server change some post are being left off.

here ya go

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by J_Oats
    I still can't figure out what he did wrong. He went to a titty bar?? Are you kidding?

Because if they fired him for anything less than sleeping with a hooker, and they better have more than unsubstantiated rumors about a women ordering food from his room in the a.m, the university should just stop playing football.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

its not that he went to a tittie bar, its more of that he woke up next to a female, and didn't know how she got there. This causes many problems.
    1) If you wake up next to a woman and you don't know how she got there, would you leave the room and leave her in there, and go play golf.
    2)If he didn't know how she got there, and then left anyway, why would he pay a $1000 for room service that was charged to his room, unless he had something to hide.

Who ever this person was, she was someone that he didn't want to come out into the public. If it were me, and I woke up next to a woman that I didn't know, first of all I would not leave her in the room, and second, I definitly would not pay the $1000, I would call the police and track her down.
    I'm not saying he did anything with this woman, but had he not I would think he would have done things differently. Like not left her in the room and not paid the bill.

The story just has to many holes in it, and Bama to be on the safe side, made the right decision. What if they decided to give him a second chance, and then a few months down the road, this woman comes out and says she is a prostitute or something like that and tells the real story...then Bama would really look bad.

I think Bama made the right decision, but i do feel sorry for Price because he is just human and humans make mistakes. But in the eyes of SEC football, these coachs are not looked at as just humans, they are more than that, they are viewed as God-like, and are expected to act that way.

The bottom line is that it all boils down to recruiting, as much trouble as Bama is in right now, they don't need anymore recruiting troubles, and this would be a huge recruiting tactic used by all SEC schools.

5. J_Oats

J_Oats Founding Member

GeauxScott - How do you know the details of what happened? Has he said that he woke up next to a women who he didn't know?

Eric D - I don't think they know diffinativaly(sp) that he took a stripper back to his hotel room, they just think that he did. Like I said before, assuming that he slept with a women in his hotel room, unless he paid her for sex, I don't think that he should be fired for that. What percentage of college coaches do you think cheat on their wives? and why is that any of our business. Also, I didn't know that he used Alabama's credit card. Was he in Florida on official school business, because why would the school give him a credit card to just charge to them whatever he wanted, I hope you will clarify what that means.

6. geauxscott

I heard it on a radio show. Paul Finbaum was interviewing a guy he was calling Mr. Bledsoe, he says he has been a friend of Price for 40 years. Supposedly Price had told him the story and this is what he said Price told him. He said all of this on the air. He went on to say that he believed Price in that he did not know how she got there.

It has also been discussed, on many Bama boards and seems to have alot of truth to it.

also this is starting to look like it was Prices second chance, supposedly Mal Moore had a talk with Price about his behavior a while back, before any of this.

7. geauxscott

also the stripper "Destiny" has signed for an exclusive with Sports Illustrated. If there was nothing interesting, thats not already known, I don't think this story would be done.

8. J_Oats

J_Oats Founding Member

Wow, what a suprise that is, a stripper named Destiny.

9. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Reminds me of the World Series when Curt Schilling was talking about the "Aura" and "Mystique" of Yankee Stadium.

10. xlnsports

xlnsports Cajun In Exile

Coach price had been in Tuscaloosa alot buying drinks for everybody running up big tabs and mal moor and new preident brought him in 3 weeks before this and said to calm down..... i agree with his dismissal if you look at it this way..... the other schools would have a field day in recruiting.. he should have stayed up north where football is a seasonal game