What exactly did Price do wrong?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by J_Oats, May 4, 2003.

1. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

By listening to national sports talk radio shows this weekend these guys don't have a clue about how it is in the SEC. Coaches in the SEC are held to an increadible standard. These guys live under a microscope. Bama does not want that type of behavior associated with their program regardless of whether it was illegal or immoral. Bama simply can't afford to have that image, the other SEC schools would eat them alive when it would come to recruiting.

2. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

Some friend. Remember people, real friends don't run to radio shows broadcasting gossip about you.

3. I don't think it was a problem with Price going to a stip club. I think the problems started when there was admission of a woman in his hotel and the huge room service bill on the alleged university credit card.

I don't about y'all, but the company I work for will fire people immediately for misuse of the corporate card since the company pays the bill. That could be part of the issue.

Tack onto that the fact that Price is going to have to sit in some parent's living rooms and tell them to rest assured that their son will be molded into an upstanding gentleman by playing football at Alabama. With this going public, who would believe him?

As for the arguments that other coaches go to strip clubs and/or cheat on their wives but it's none of our business - you're right as long as it stays out of the public light. An AD has to assess if the person will be able to be effective in their job duties. If not, the AD has to find someone who can. I agree that it seems harsh, but Alabama's support needs to be themselves, not Price.

Throw into the mix the prior warnings to curb behavior and the fact that he hasn't yet signed his contract and I can see where the rope was pretty short for Price.

4. lsu nut

lsu nut Founding Member

this article from the AJC said if were a T.V. show the networks would be fighting for the rights. I can see it now the new reality show "Roll Tide--the search for the Coach at Bama"--which would have to air on CBS because of their deal with the SEC. I dont know if voting candidates off would work because many would vote for themselves hoping they got enough votes to get out.

5. RTRinBR

RTRinBR Founding Member

The problem

Was that he had been warned twice to cool his jets in public. Yes the other schools would have eaten us alive in recruiting. Finally, the last coach that pulled this kind of crud lost complete control of the program and helped play a large part in our current probation. We can't afford to have the same result.

He was "representing" the University at that tourney, and I don't beleive that university money was involved.

RTR

6. eric d

eric d Founding Member

I said he should be fired for running up the charges to the school. Whether or not they slept together or went to the hotel is a moot point. They could have sat in the lobby and drank milk all night long. He still charged $1,000 to school. Second of all, many places will make employees sign morals or conduct clauses, espescially if it is a high profile position because that person is a representive of said organization. Many people and businesses don't want to be associated with certain kinds of behavior; therefore, will not show much tolerance for it. Also, it is not unusual for places to give high ranking executives a credit card or expense account because it is a lot of trouble to get approval for every little purchase.
    I also don't know what he was doing in Florida, but the fact that it happened there is besides the point. It could have happened in his home town, and it would have been the same outcome. Furthermore, I don't care what percentage of college coaches hang out with strippers and charge it to the school. Even if all of them did it, that doesn't make it right.

7. bobmack

bobmack Freshman

They do have a moral code as Eric D pointed out. He had been warned twice, one time the entire staff, one time him only. He chose to ignore the warnings

More stories are coming out about his unfortunate habit at local clubs in Tuscaloosa.You have to feel sorry for his family, especially his wife.He said he was going to seek help and that you would never see his name linked to anything like this in the future.

Here is a quote from him and its too bad he didn't listen to himself.........."If your drinking causes a problem, then you're a problem drinker!"

2nd time poster.......Go Tigers and Roll Tide!

8. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

After hearing that he was warned before and knowing more of the story would come out I think Bama made the right decision.

9. J_Oats

J_Oats Founding Member

Eric d - I'll ask you again, how do you know that he charged the night to the schools credit card? I have not heard that anywhere except from you, and a Bama fan said that he did not charge it to the schools credit card. I'm not saying you are lying, just wondering how you know he charged it to the schools credit card.

10. eric d

eric d Founding Member

I heard it on the Dan Patrick show on the radio, Sportscenter, and sportsline.com.
    Unfortunately they have removed the links from there website. Will these do?

http://www.jimrome.com/archives/5012003/article/article_2.html

"The details are finally coming out. A young woman, while in Price’s hotel room, ordered more than $1,000.00 worth of grub from room service on Price’s Alabama corporate card while Price was out playing golf. This mind you, was after he spent the previous night in a local strip joint getting private dances."

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/5764870.htm

"Based on the wording of Alabama coach Mike Price's contract, it would be reasonable to make such an assumption. It includes a ``for cause'' clause that states he can be fired for actions that result in ``public disrepute, contempt, scandal or ridicule.'' It grants his superiors the power to cut him loose for behavior that ``reflects unfavorably upon the reputation or the high moral or ethical standards of the university.''

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/other_sports/article/0,1406,KNS_304_1930415,00.html

"something about you getting a snootful at a golf tournament and then some woman running off with your Alabama credit card."

http://www.caller.com/ccct/football/article/0,1641,CCCT_822_1926761,00.html

"When this story first broke, Mike, my first thought was not unlike the first thought of everybody else familiar with your legacy at Washington State: You're too smart to remove your company credit card from your wallet and presume to be able to itemize the ensuing flurry of zeros in a "Party On, Dude" box on your expense report."

If you would like to see more just do a yahoo search for Mike Price Alabama credit card.