What exactly did Price do wrong?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by J_Oats, May 4, 2003.

1. dplsu

dplsu Founding Member

Get past the specifics of who charged what to which card and look at the big picture.

Price was fired because people in that position are held, and rightfully so, to a higher standard of ethics and morals than the average Joe. Would your community tolerate teachers or clergy frequenting strip clubs and having sleep overs with girls named Destiney? I know my community would not. And it shouldn't be a surprise to Price. People in his position, while not necessarily role models, do have an influence over the students and players of the university. It's all about perception. The whole issue would be a continual dark cloud over his head that would never go away. Issues like this always seem to start a downward spiral of a program...take Terry Bowden and Mike Dubose for example...and that's the last thing Bama needs. And if you want another example of why we should hold certain people to a higher standard, how about Clinton/Lewinsky?

You may not think it's fair, but people choose the career knowing the consequences of their actions and Witt did the right thing.

By the way...it's definitely!

2. J_Oats

J_Oats Founding Member

No, its not. I was going for definitively, not definitely.

3. dplsu

dplsu Founding Member

Okay, I didn't read close enough I guess...

To answer your question about the credit card though, my company and most I know give out company credit cards that you keep with you at all times and are supposed to use responsibly. My company card is in my wallet at all times but I know not to use it if it is not a company expense. And it's a little absurd to justify Price's behavior by the ASSUMPTION that other coaches cheat on their wives.

I believe your point, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that IF he paid for sex then the firing was warranted. I believe the firing was warranted because he allowed himself to be put in a compromising position and used incredibly poor judgement.

Don't you think the consequences of NOT firing Price would have been more harmful to Bama than firing him? I certainly do. And as much as I like Nick Saban and think he is the greatest coach we could hope for, I would thoroughly expect Emmert to terminate him if he had used such poor judgement in his representation of our University. And that's my point, when you CHOOSE to become the head coach at a major university you forfeit the right to go to strip bars and bring skanks back to your room and if you do, these are the consequences. IF you choose to run for president and you get lucky enough to win, you can no longer get hummers from interns. There's got to be accountability for actions and to justify bad behavior by pointing out others bad behavior is a big problem in itself.

4. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

I think Price underestimated the microscope under which SEC football coaches live. EVERYTHING you do represents the university.