What freshman would you most like....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tiger4Ever, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Tiger4Ever

Tiger4Ever Freshman

to see NOT Redshirted next year? I am a big advocate of redshirting as many as possible, but my vote goes to Shawn Jordan. The thought of having a fullback of his abilities can't wait a season. His video at the bash was unbelievable. Who do you all want to see getting some serious PT next year? By the way, I am a new user and love this board compared to others!

2. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

Darryl Johnson and LaRon Landry because we need help in the secondary and safety is a position where freshman can come in and immediately bring help. Pittman maybe if they decide to use him at LB instead of DE. I also think atleast one of the WRs will not be redshirted. Justin Vincent will probably be 2nd string behind Addai and will get extensive playing time.

3. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

Welcome to the board Tiger4Ever! Glad to have you.

I could be wrong, but I think I remember hearing coach Saban say something to the effect of not red-shirting some guys because there is a very good chance they would leave early for the NFL anyway.

Some of these recruits are so skilled, red-shirting them would just mean LSU would only be able able to utilize their skills one less year. It really depends on the athlete and how dedicated he is to completing his education and getting his degree. Some guys just really want to play in the NFL as soon as possible and will leave when they get the chance.

I think if it appears a recruit has mad skills, can compete for the job and will probably leave early, there's a good chance he'll play early. Then again, I'm not the coach ;)

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Jordan for sure. If a throwing quarterback emerges, then the sooner WR's Amp Hill and Bowe get in the game the better.

Obviously Justin Vincent and Kenny Hollis will not be redshirted and will probably be expected to contend for starting positions.

One or two of the defensive linemen will get to play. Maybe Pittman or Washington.

5. J_Oats

J_Oats Founding Member

I expect Kirston Pittman to start at the SAM linebacker position that Jeremy lawrence played, that is the main Rushing LB in the LSU defense, he played DE, I think he could start next year at LB for LSU.

6. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Yeah, we definitely need some of the freshman to help @ LB and in the secondary. Like I heard the other day, Jack Hunt may be the only safety scared to go over the middle (he hears his own footsteps). Just joking, I'm sure he's giving it his best but I'd like to see an upgrade. What about freshman that redshirted this year? Anyone that has a good chance of significant playing time at LB and the secondary? Will Hollis take over MLB?

7. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

I think Hill has a good chance of playing this year. But I think we have a more immediate need at the DB posisition. Hunt is a good athelete but I don't think safety is his best fit.

8. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

We need all the help we can get at DB, so Laron Landry and Nick Childs will probably get serious playing time next year...

9. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Recruits still get to play for four years even if they redshirt. I suspect your talking about players who would possibly go pro after a redshirt sophomore year (playing only two years) but that's very rare.

This is mostly skill players we are talking about. The vast majority of those redshirted are offensive and defensive linemen, as the extra year to beef up in the weightroom is now almost a requirement in major college football (although Ben Wilkerson did start as a true freshman at center in 2001, which I find amazing). I think we have some players who could play right away, especially defensive backs and running backs. We don't need a true freshman starting at linebacker IMO, just a little depth in case someone gets hurt.

10. SeN-SaTioN

SeN-SaTioN Founding Member

Awhile back I heard something about converting Micheal Clayton into a DB. I don't know if this true, but IMO I think he a valuable asset on offense. However I believe he has shown that he is an offensive threat and could show the scouts his diversity and athleticism to be on both sides of the ball. It could help his stock out for the NFL. He did show us in the Cotton Bowl that he could cover and lay the wood on people. If this did happen, then Amp and/or DBowe could see immediate action. But taking Clayton completely away from the offensive side would be a mistake as well. I still think he needs reps as receiver as well. What do you all think?