What happened to the "mobility" Jennings was supposed to have.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by sunnyjim, Jan 1, 2014.

1. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

No. I think what we saw shows a few things...
    1) mettenberger is exceptionally good, and with a legit D we'd be undefeated in the NC
    2) Jennings has a ways to go, might be more of the O we're used to next year
    3) our d may have played its strongest game this season, saw some solid hitting out there
    4) if any offensive recruits were looking at this game to help decide where they're going, RBs are probably up and WRs are probably down. Still think DBs could push their way into starting lineup.

Rouxleaux likes this.
  2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I don't believe too many recruits would put too much stock in one game when making their decision.

TigerTap likes this.
  3. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

This. Glad he got some real game experience in a meaningless bowl rather than playing his first game next Sept against Wisconsin. He wasn't lights out but he did enough. He'll get better.

plotalot likes this.
  4. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Its lack of experience.

Mett knew where guys would be and when healthy, could place the ball on a dime.

It is clear Jennings did not get "enough" reps with the 1st team. Mett had 3 years in the system. 1 off season with a real QB coach.........

I didn't like the way Jennings played, but some of it was due to the play calling. However I think the coaches new as well...

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I think the game plan was obvious, had the scenario dictated him throwing it everywhere, I think we may have seen a better job throwing the ball. Also a wet ball is alot easier for a 6 foot 6 dude with huge hands like ZM to throw it around than the shorter, smaller Jennings.

didit, cajdav1 and Winston1 like this.
  6. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

You'll see a more decisive and polished QB after spring and fall ball... this kid will be special. Remember Mett last year?

Rouxleaux, cajdav1 and ParadiseiNC like this.
  7. BayouBengal014

BayouBengal014 Founding Member

Dudes not that fast. I never thought he was really that mobile of a quarterback. he will most likely get beat out this off season.

8. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I think the only thing this game tells us about Jennings is that he's not ready yet. I don't think it tells us much of anything about how good he will or won't be next year. He looked like a true freshman in his first start. I think the surprise was that so many inside the program kept saying how ready he was.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Miles said after the game that AJ was tight the entire game, could hardly catch his breath at one point. Every player goes through growing pains, some more than others. We'll have 3-4 qb's battling this spring and fall and hopefully the light clicks on for two of them.

TigerTap and lsu-i-like like this.
  10. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Physiologic responses like you are describing are common for those taking on a big step up in an endeavor, and it's not just limited to a freshman QB making his first start in a bowl game for a perennial top 10 football team. Someone giving their first lecture in front of a large crowd, a law student participating in a trial in courtroom, or attorney handling their first true trial, a medical student trying to assess a patient and present it to an experienced surgeon, etc, etc, etc. Rarely do these initial moments go smoothly, and often they provide searing moments to grow from. Even if they do go "perfectly", that doesn't predict for success or failure in the future. If AJ was tight, and breathing heavy throughout the game, #1 it tells me he cares about what he is doing, i.e. is passionate and perfectionistic, and #2 it tells me that is something that will settle down w/time and experience. As he gets actual game experience, not just practice or film study, but actual game experience, his confidence will blossom and those physiologic responses will be under control. His true ability as a QB will then come out. It's called maturing. He's going to be fine, and all of these knee jerkers on here won't be coming back to retract their overreactions, they'll just jump on the bandwagon. The problem was not AJ, it's our expectations of what someone should be and when.

fanatic, RHans405, Rouxleaux and 6 others like this.