US Politics What has Israel done for the USA?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex_B, Jul 28, 2014.

1. titoabad1

titoabad1 Contributing Member

One hell of a lot less harm than their enemies have.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

No they don't. The CIA can't trust Israel. Israel has been caught spying on us on more than one occasion. We have Israeli spies in US Supermax prisons. Israel purposely sank a US intelligence ship during the Six-day war, killing Americans. Yes, we have many cultural ties with more Jews in New York than in Israel. Yes they are a democracy that we approve of. Yes, we feel bad about the Holocaust. At least we did until the Israeli invasion of Lebanon proved that they were as ruthless as the Nazis.

But diplomatically, Israel has been a millstone around our neck. The anti-American sentiment in the middle east all comes down to our support of Israel. Israel is an lousy military ally. We have zero American bases in Israel. We have over a dozen in nearby Arab countries like Egypt, Sadi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman, Bahrain, and Qatar. Israel has never once gone to war alongside America. Egypt, all the Gulf States, and Saudi Arabia have, even friggin Syria has! The idea that Israel is our only ally in the middle east is simply wrong.

Israeli intransigence in Palestine is just as bad as the Palestinians. And we pay Israel $2 billion a year for all the headaches they cause us. Don't get me wrong, I support Israel generally, but their best interests and our best interests are NOT the same.

What has Israel done for us?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  3. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Vox.com recently posted some reasons why historically Israel has been helped by the US, but I have yet to read anyone who provides exactly what the US gets in return. We could stop writing the annual $3 billion check every year and slowly withdraw support if we wanted. The Arab governments would eventually provoke an attack from Israel who would very possibly be the next country to use an atomic weapon. It would be a ridiculous mess that would no doubt drive fuel prices through the roof. In a roundabout way, one could argue that US support of Israel provides the US with a more stable Middle East.

Honestly, with the lack of cooperation and trust that our money buys them I'd just as soon leave them to their own devices. They offer the US very little that the US cannot provide for itself.

http://www.vox.com/2014/7/24/5929705/us-israel-friends
    http://www.vox.com/cards/israel-palestine/intro

4. kcal

kcal Founding Member

so we justify spending billions on virtually seemingly every developing country and wonder what a country providing a level of balance in a very unstable region does for America???

5. xlnsports

xlnsports Cajun In Exile

Israel takes all/most of the hatred from the Muslim nations but mark my words if as a nation Israel falls the U.S. will be number one .

6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I am not a Republican, I never will be. I gave an answer to a question. I don't see it as a political ideology....just an answer.

7. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Trust has nothing to do with it. The US has had personnel in Israel for the purpose of terrorist target removal. Fact.

I answered a question. It was not a voice of support or argument, just an answer. And like has already been said, what has any other country actually "done" for the US lately?

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You are right about one thing. Israel would use atomic weapons if their backs were to the wall and they faced survival. The $3 billion we give them is a drop in the bucket if it helps to forestall that unlikely event.

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

They gave us Bat-or kalo who started the Kalo band. Check em out at kaloband.Com

Very Fiona Appleish with a blues/rock groove. I like em.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Israel sucks, as does my contribution to this thread.

shane0911 likes this.