What if fans had interfered with the Hail Mary?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JAB, Nov 11, 2002.

1. JAB

JAB Freshman

What is the rule if fans had run onto the field and kept Henderson from making the catch or knocking him down before he made it into the endzone? Could you imagine if we had been driving towards the student section. A penalty and replay would have rewarded UK, because what are the chances of a play like that working again. Why should UK be rewarded for failing to secure the playing field during play? That would simply encourage fans from disrupting the game any time their team is in trouble. I say that you have to give LSU the score. I seem to remember some game from years back when a player jumped off the bench and made a tackle on a sure score. I believe they gave the team a touchdown. Anyone know the rule?

2. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

I was wondering the samething. My guess would be that had a fan ran into Henderson and caused him to fall to the ground at round the 5yd line, that the ball would be placed there and LSU would be given one play. But then again he would have scored had the fan not interferred, but I don't see the officials giving a touchdown. I just think they would be given one play, from the spot of the interference.

3. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

Bama player comes off bench

Remember the old film of the Alabama player coming off the bench and tackling a player who was running back a kickoff? They awarded him a TD. This happend in the early 1900's.

HAIL MARY, THE LORD IS FOR LSU

4. JAB

JAB Freshman

I looked to the NCAA Rule book. I think that it could either be classified as "illegal interference" which carries either a 15 yard penalty or it is within the referee's discretion to assess "any penalty he considers equitable, including awarding a score", or it could be considered an "unfair act" which could result in awarding a score or forfeiting the game.

5. WF TIGER

WF TIGER Founding Member

I could see Woody Hayes doing this when he was at Ohio State. Man he was a trip.