What is so appealing about Miles???

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Veritas, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Veritas

Veritas Founding Member

All I hear is he is a great motivator, he has beaten Oklahoma, and he has one in a hard conference. That doesnt really speak much.

- I'd rather have someone that can coach a game. We have about 25 other assistants that can motivate the players. Also if you can't get motivated to play in the SEC you have serious problems.

- I give him credit for beating Oklahoma, but it's not like LSU didn' have it's upsets over teams. LSU plays better as the underdog.

- He has been like 8-5 or 9-4 but he is loosing to A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, the top teams in the Big 12.

I will support him if he is the coach, but what is so special about him? :confused:

2. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Nothing special.

In Jan 05 we are hiring a coach with fewer accomplishments and less impressive credentials than the coach we hired in Nov 99 had in Nov 99. That is to say, in Nov 99, Saban had better credentials and more accomplishments than Miles has in Jan 05.

3. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

you have posted this several times without stating exactly what Saban did that Miles has not. Please let me know so I can be aware.....to my knowledge Saban never won the Big 10, was an NFL asst, blah blah blah. same goes for Miles. What am I missing?

Just curious

4. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I have to agree with you. He may be a fine coach and a good fit for a middle of the pack Big 12 school, but this is upper division SEC football we're talking about. I respect that he can do what he does year in and year out w/ the resources he has...that doesn't necessarily mean he can do it here just because he has more to work with. Curley Hallman is a perfect example of this.

Bottom line...there's a big difference between being able to drive a Dodge minivan and being able to drive a Maserati.

5. Ryno

Ryno Freshman

FYI: Miles has beat the Big XII Conference Champion 3 out of the past 4 years. That includes two big wins over top 5 Oklahoma teams and Kansas State.

He has also beat Texas A&M 2 out of 3 years, Nebraska when they were still playing in bowls, Mizzou in Columbia, Colorado (Big 12 North Champs) 42-16 this year, UCLA in Pasadena, Southern Miss, etc.

The ONLY team we've struggled with has been Texas. They've got our number. We had them BEAT big this year and somehow blew a 35-7 lead.

6. tigerjeffrey

tigerjeffrey Founding Member

DC vs. position coach

Saban was a highly respected DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR in the NFL ... Miles was a position coach (tight ends) for a few yrs w/ Dallas. Big difference! Maybe that's what you're missing.:shock:

7. mesquite tiger

welcome to the board ryno.

feel free to divulge as much Coach Miles info as you wish. As you can tell, some here are excited, and others are not so excited.

8. mesquite tiger

thanks for the info...I will add the Cleveland sucked during the Belichek days, so I am not sure how much cred that lends to Saban doing more.

I would be curious if Miles was at Dallas coaching Novacek when they were winning Super Bowls????

9. Veritas

Veritas Founding Member

They still had a top 5 defense when saban was there, their offense really blew.

10. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I was also reading another thread about this situation.
    Seems like we are rushing in a coach to save a recruiting class that probably will be lost somewhat anyway.

It was bound to happen with NS leaving and no big name coach coming to town.
    Don't get me wrong, I will support whoever coaches the tigers and hope they will win.
    This is all timing but we may be defeating our own purpose with him trying to save the
    day if we lose some top recruits.
    HOPEFULLY
    We will interview some NFL assistants or look a little longer and maybe this is more rumor than we know?

I guess I could say we expected a little more of a known candidate with a little more track record is all.

Again, I will support whoever.