What is the hardest sport to play?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Gulf Coast Tige, Feb 13, 2004.

1. bolobolo

bolobolo Founding Member

I've played football, basketball, baseball, tennis, golf, track, boxing, competitive swimming, and was and am still a decent athlete. If you are competitive and give it your all, most of these sports can be taxing. As hard and rough as football can be, none of the others compare to boxing. You must be in very good physical condition just to be somewhat able to compete. This still doesn't guarantee that you won't get the shit kicked out of you. Just going three rounds can exhaust you even if you are in great shape. Boxing requires agility, strength, quickness of the hands and feet, great reflexes, strategy, and intimidation of your opponent. Boxers train for months for just one fight. I love sports and love to compete. But boxing has my vote as the hardest.

2. Tigersmack

Tigersmack Founding Member

I agree, Golf

Golf is the most frustrating thing ever for me........I thought I was pretty good at baseball and basketball but golf for me is crazy hard. The moment I think I'm getting better something shows me I'm not. Like my swing.

That's why when you see somebody like Tiger winning consistently it's so impressive.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Comparing baseball to golf:

Barry Bonds stands at the plate while pitchers try to throw a hard leather ball past him at speeds of up to 100 miles per hour. Most pitchers are capable of putting incredible movement on the ball and they locate the pitches very well. Knowing how dangerous a hitter Bonds is they are very careful not to give him anything to hit. When he is standing at the plate in an opposing teams ballpark the fans are screaming every insult in the book at him. Still, he hits home runs a very good percent of the time that a pitcher makes a mistake and throws the ball in a location where he can hit it.

Tiger Woods stands over a little white ball and takes several minutes to study the distance, wind conditions, club selection and to gather his concentration while the ball is still sitting there motionless. If somebody in the gallery so much as coughs or breathes too loudly Woods throws a tantrum and takes a few more minutes to refigure how he wants to hit the little white ball that hasn't gone anywhere.

I was a pretty good hitter up until I was about 15 and started to face pitchers who could put some movement on their curve balls. I started playing golf at about the same age. I wasn't real good but I wasn't real bad either. Now I am 50 and it would be unthinkable for me to think I could still hit a home run off of even a halfway decent high school pitcher but I am not any worse a golfer than I ever was.

The toughest sport is boxing. Think about it. Would you want to get in the ring with somebody who might not only kill you but just might bite your ear off too? Even if you are great at it and become champ you still might end up so brain damaged that you end up broke even after making hundreds of millions of dollars.

4. conradj

conradj Founding Member

Great Post BengalB

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

man golf is tough. on many sports you can get by on athleticism. for instance i can run faster and jump higher than most of my friends so i can always compete with them at most sports. however, golf is a whole different story. you cant just go out to the course and be good. it just isnt possible. you have to know what you are doing and practice and concentrate. golf is hard. for example, i dont play raquetball, but if i tried to learn it, it wouldnt be but a few months before i was as good as the other chumps playing it and was hitting good shots. but golf, its so hard that you have to take lessons and watch the golf channel and go to the range just to not make an idiot of yourself.

people who are good and consistent at golf are truly skilled mofos.

6. PurpleBlood

PurpleBlood Founding Member

THIS JUST IN:

Golf is NOT a sport. It's simply a hobby. Here's where I draw the line. If you can't get in shape playing it, then it's not a sport. And don't tell me you can get in shape walking around the golf course. That's just pathetic.

Nothing against golfers, but it's simply not a true sport.

Here's to football!

7. conradj

conradj Founding Member

I disagree. I think Golf is a sport. Nascar on the other hand. As much hated Jim Rome says: "when they start making right turns I will consider calling a Neck-Car a sport."

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Even though race car drivers don't need to be athletes racing is very physically demanding. Do you have any idea how hot it gets inside a race car in July or August in Charlotte, Atlanta, Texas Motor Speedway or even in Chicago or Michigan. Unlike the cars we drive every day they are not air conditioned. The driver is wearing a fireproof racing suit that adds to the heat. Drivers must have incredibly quick reflexes just to survive at 200 miles per hour while racing inches apart from other cars and often trading paint with them.

Unlike some so called sports the winner is determined by who crosses the finish line first, making it a true competition. Motorsports are just as much a sport as football or baseball. Every sport has equipment unique to that sport to enable the playing of the game. Just because the equipment necessary to race in NASCAR cost a half a million dollars or so each as opposed to a couple of thousand for a top of the line set of golf clubs or a full football uniform dosen't make it any less of a sport.

I'd like to see how long Jim Rome would last at Daytona.

You want to know why NASCAR has become so popular? Not every football fan has played football or baseball fan has played baseball BUT EVERYBODY DRIVES A CAR!

9. conradj

conradj Founding Member

BengalB, I have been to a few Nascar races, I know it is physically demanding. I just have never seen it as a sport. I dont know how to explain other than saying that I see sports as having to use a ball, or running around, something that involves athleticism. Mark Martin, and Richard Petty just dont fit the description of an athlete IMO. While the are very talented in a physically demanding career, I just cant view Nascar as a sport. A lot of people diagree with me though.

10. aztiger03

aztiger03 Founding Member

the hardest sport is being a OLE MISS FAN or Auburn you choose