What is the obsession with class?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by FortWorthTiger, Feb 4, 2005.

1. FortWorthTiger

FortWorthTiger Founding Member

I read college football message boards very frequently, and I noticed something I thought was interesting. Something I don't see on other boards. Why every time someone feels slighted, abused, insulted or whatever, at least one person will respond with the seemingly obligatory "you have no class," or "*** fans have no class." or "your coach *** is a no-class hick, "or p-lo has no class because he deceived UT." Also, whenever someone wants to pay a fan base a compliment they always use "classy."

To be honest, I'm a beer drinking, fried food eating, loud screaming college football fan. If I were to do something wrong or right it would have more to do with my character than me having "class."

I'm just getting tired of this word being thrown around so frequently. If people are hospitable, call them hospitable, if they are dishonest call them dishonest, if they are unintelligent call them a f'n moron. I'm just tired of everyone blanketing every positive or negative attribute into "class." It's really getting played out.

Ok, done venting.

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

A college professor type will think of many other ways to say these things w/o usinb class. But most of them just don't have the same ring as 'you are a classless pig". Such as "you are of low moral character", just doesn't sound right when you're flaming someone. :)

3. john randolph

john randolph Founding Member

Come on, stop venting!! Have a little class for Pete's sake!!!

4. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

I agree.

There is a reason that Will Ferrell's Ron Burgundy signed off with, "Stay classy, San Diego."

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I often hear somebody talking about somebody's "class" or the lack of it, when they really mean "style". Such people are usually just worried about their own style . . or lack of it. Those who are in any way concerned with somebody's "class" needs to get a life and quickly. Nerd alert! Nerd alert!

I know a number of extremely knowledgeable and fanatic football observers. And not one of them gives a rat's ass about some rival fans "classlessness" or "obnoxious fan behavior". It's about the game, not the fans!

6. Tiger Trey

Tiger Trey Founding Member

Ah !! There's America's BIG problem: We are obsessed with class !!!

7. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

All this talk of class reminds me of a TLC special on the Hindu Caste System...

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

yeah im sure that is the prevalent thought everyone had after "perusing" this. However, I simply read it.

9. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

JMO, but CFB has become so competitive that even the slightest infraction is taken as "personal" by a number of fans...... and look at the examples that are being set by the so-called "leaders." Every program has it's own examples.

The days of sportsmanship being paramount to winning have been dead for quite some time. Just as an example, I coached little league and pony league baseball and youth soccer for more than a decade, but the politics and unsportsmanlike behavior of the parents made it impossible to teach the life lessons that my coaches taught me at an early age. Even in the pratice sessions you have certain parents that believe they need to control the process. It's purely shameful at the role models young kids have available to them today and the parents, of course, are offended when it is brought to their attention.

It's ironic that some of the so-called "lesser sports," like golf and lacrosse, are still home for class and sportsmanship, IMO.

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

My hero. :bncry: