What is the rapture talk about??

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bud Lee, May 20, 2011.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

and yet you never really internalize the point, that faith is faith.

of course he doesnt. water into wine, planting his kids in virgins, that stuff is for realz.

yes, i guess science/medicine and religion are equal. thats a smart point.

what does having a positive attitude have to do with prayer?

2. TBTrumpet

TBTrumpet Founding Member

I agree with Martin, even though he probably doesn't convey all his ideas in the most polite way. But I've meet many christians who are just as big an ******* as him. I just let my money do the talking instead of my mouth.

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

and...........

OK, maybe he does do magic and we just fail to recognize it, like a north wind in May (which never happens) that keeps the floodwaters from backing up into Morgan City, or the Saints winning the Super Bowl. Or maybe he's saving it up for the rapture.

Prayer helps fortify the will. One of my co-workers is wrapping up his second round of chemo (for bone marrow cancer). He says prayer gives him the strength to stay positive, when it would be very easy to just lay around in self-pity.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

why didnt he just not make the floods at all instead of making them happen, then saving you from them? was he behind the parts of the flood that did actually destroy things? its weird how god gets credit but rarely gets blame. i dunno maybe you think satan caused the floods but god protected morgan city (at the expense of other places) because morgan city is his favorite.

a friend of mine believes santa gives her the strength to be nice to her friends. she wants to be on the list of good kids. she is 4 years old, what is your excuse?

5. mctiger

if I were an arrogant religious know-it-all, as you portray people with faith, I would try to bluster a response. But I'm not, and I don't know why these things happen.

Totally uncalled for.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

are you a believer or arent you? are you claiming god did these things, or arent you? if you are not, then what are we discussing? the fact that you are not a believer and are atheist like me?

i wasnt talking to the dude with cancer, i was talking to mctiger who just said he doesnt know if prayer makes things happen, so is also not in agreement with the cancer guy. cancer guy thinks prayer helps. i would like to ask who gave him cancer?

7. mctiger

I am a believer. The notion that to be a believer is to think you have all the answers is a product of your own brain.

Cancer guy thinks prayer helps. I think prayer helped cancer guy, who nevertheless would be dead now if he had relied on prayer alone. I also think no answer will satisfy your closed mind unless it came from God Himself, and then you wouldn't believe it was Him anyway. This conversation is beyond pointless.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Maybe we are just a form of a virus and our goal is to destroy earth, our host. Same way we fight off an infection earth may be fighting us and killing us off. All we do is reproduce like bacteria and destroy **** on a grand scale, relatively speaking.

No one knows but i guess its only natural to assume we are different. We do have awareness after all.

But maybe we arent. And when you are dead maybe its no different than when you step on an ant. but the spinning rocketship that is earth continues to crash through space and life goes on with no real questions ever answered.

thats hard for people to imagine I suppose but its kinda cool. And i dont smoke dope.

1 person likes this.
  9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Here is how I look at it:

One way or the other someone is going to be right.

I do believe in God, when those of us that do finally pass on we will find out. If we are wrong, eh, I'm sure we will be like "shucks" "tricked us again"

BUT

If martin happens to be wrong..... ooooooooo I bet that confrontation will be epic.

Won't be able to drive a buttered needle up his ass with a sledge hammer.

Carry on folks, I am done with this thread.

2 people like this.
  10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

we may not find out ****. dust to dust mother****ers.

well shouldnt we account for every possibility in case the other beliefs are right? i mean there are all kinds of historical things out there we need to account for just in case and that would be pretty vexing.

or should we just assume we got lucky we were born on the right longitudinal axes at the correct blip of time over millennia?

we would have to be pretty arrogant to assume we were that lucky I suppose. plus the rules are so ****ing contradicting its likely none of us would get in heaven anyhow. so we can still all be good to each other, chill over drinks, have a good time watching some football then die.

no biggie. just like every other living thing does except we knew it was going to happen eventually. enjoy the ride peeps. its a short one.