What made John Kerry dovish?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Jetstorm, Mar 1, 2004.

1. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I love the way you're constantly trying to stifle free speech around
    here as if this were YOUR personal board CB.

Quit being such a control freak. Jetstorm's got the same right to
    post his opinion as you have to post your anti-American crapola.

2. CottonBowl'66

CottonBowl'66 Founding Member

There is nothing that reveals more what comic book minds these right wingers have here than their blanket condemnation of Kerry and others who spoke out against the Vietnam War. We could not have won the war in Vietnam if we had stayed there and fought there for another decade.

But these little right wingers here, who think that to accuse someone of "opposing" the Vietnam War is to condemn them in one sound bite, have such a shallow understanding of what happened during the War that they have revealed themselves as people with nothing worthwhile to say on the subject.

Of course someone like Bush, who "supported" the Vietnam War, and therefore voted in favor of politicians who wanted to continue the war, while he was deliberately maneuvering a path that would keep him from going to fight in it by using his family's connections and influence, is praiseworthy.

So apparently they just condemn those who opposed the war, not those who supported it, but avoided going right along with those who opposed it and avoided it.

They are shallow hypocrites and so ignorant that these Bush apologists here are contemptible.

3. xlnsports

xlnsports Cajun In Exile

Cotton is it possible to oppose the war and still support the troops that followed what the law said and went to fight in Vietnam it sounds hard to do .... sort of like not hateing a person but there actions

4. CottonBowl'66

x, if you don't see the difference between SUPPORTING the Vietnam War, which is what Bush did, and, at the same time, using your family's influence to stay out of fighting in it, well, we have nothing to say.

I am sure you probably do see the difference, but since you are a "Bush can do no wrong" kind of dittohead, you will make excuses for anything cowardly he did.

And I do find it appropriate that the Iraqi War is supported mainly by bloodthirsty chicken hawks like you and your fellow cowards here, just as long as you can watch it while watching it sitting in hour living rooms while drinking beer, because the War is being led by two cowardly chicken hawks in Bush and Cheney.

If you support Bush's War so much, go and enlist. Otherwise, you have nothing to say.

5. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

I support Bush's war completly, yet i'm not in the military, does that make me a horrible horrible person CB?

6. CottonBowl'66

Gimp, so many things make you a horrible person, that that is the least of the things. LOL

7. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

so because i'm "disabled"(I detest that word) and the government will not allow me to join the military makes me a horrible person who shouldn't be able to do anything but dissaprove of the war? If I was physically able I would love to join the military for at least a 4 year period because i believe that is one of the most patriotic things a person can do. However, the government will not allow me to do this so I am "stuck" supporting candidates who do support the same things that I do.

On a sidenote my 2 best friends are in the military, countless family members are in the military, many other friends are in the military and they all supported the war because their commander-in-chief said it was necessary. Am i a horrible person because you say I want to send these people to war, no I don't want to send these people to war anymore than I want to send some stranger to war, but it's not my call and if the President of the United States says that something like force is needed then I am going to follow him and what he says. I agreed with Clinton when he sent troops to Kosovo and Bosnia. Regardless of my political ideaology I will listen to what the President has to say and I will make up my own mind if it is something that is needed or not. CB and phatcat, and many other posters on this board, however, are blinded by partisanship and will just brush whatever anyone who doesn't agree with you off your shoulders. My political ideaology may be extremely conservative but that doesn't mean I hate the working class, that i'm rich, that i want to end welfare and social security, or many other things that liberals accuse conservatives of wanting to do. Although I do espose certain religious morals that are responsible for me objecting to abortion (the only type I do support is for mothers who have been raped) homosexuality, same-sex marriages, and other things. I am against Affirmative Action because I believe that it is nothing more than reverse racism/sexism and should be abolished. Disabled people are also subject to affirmative action. When i applied to college I refused to tell anyone that I was "disabled" because I wanted to get into college on my own, I didn't want to get in because i was
    "disabled"

Class is about to start so i will write more about this later.

8. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

And there is plenty more where that came from.

What say you folks to another Vietnam vet calling Kerry out?

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/jaybryant/jb20040303.shtml

Dear Mr. Kerry;

After spending only four months in the country of Vietnam, you testified before Congress in 1971 with these exact words about incidents you say you witnessed: "They personally raped, cut off ears, cut off heads, taped wires from portable telephones to human genitals and turned up the power, cut off limbs, blew up bodies, randomly shot at civilians, razed villages, shot cattle and dogs for fun, poisoned food stocks, and generally ravaged the countryside of South Viet Nam."

Spread that on a farmer's field where it will do some good. I spent a year there in 1968-69 in a combat arms unit. I was a Field Artillery Forward Observer in an Infantry company and I saw combat every day until I was wounded. When I returned from the hospital, I was assigned to an artillery battery. I saw brave men fight and die; I saw brave, good men pass out all their rations to hungry kids, build churches and schools, donate to orphanages, cry silently at the sight of villagers slaughtered by North Vietnamese, but I never saw anything approaching the war crimes that you happened to witness as your boat sped by villages on the river bank. If you witnessed atrocities and did not report them, you are guilty of aiding and abetting. If you lied, you are simply unfit for leadership at any level. The most serious incident I witnessed was a young sergeant who grabbed the arm of a Vietnamese woman during a village search. An older, more experienced noncommissioned officer knocked the sergeant to the ground and told him, somewhat forcefully, that that woman was someone's mother and would be treated with respect. That's it, Kerry, that's my confession - I didn't report the incident.

I have children, and my children have children. They will, perhaps, stumble upon your words, much as one might stumble upon a pile of dog droppings. I do not relish the thought of having to explain that your "experiences" are either a bald-faced lie, or you belong to that less-than-1% of Viet Nam veterans who committed war crimes/atrocities. Either way, your words do great harm to the institution of the Senate, my home state of Massachusetts, the Armed Services in which I proudly served for 27 years, and the very country that you aspire to lead.

Is it true that you single-handedly prevented a vote on a Senate version of H.R. 2833, the Viet Nam Human Rights Act of 2001 - a bill that passed the House by a vote of 410-1? There are many who believe that our failure to speak decisively on that issue cost the lives of thousands of Montagnard tribesman in Viet Nam. Where do you stand on H.R. 1587, the Viet Nam Human Rights Act of 2003? Will you support a parallel bill in the Senate? Is it true that you served as Chairman of the Senate Select Committee on MIA/POW Affairs and in that role you fought hard to limit the expenditure of funds to investigate sightings or search for remains? You have, I believe, been a steadfast, staunch and vocal advocate for normalizing relations with Viet Nam. Could it be that your beloved first cousin, Mr. Forbes, CEO of Colliers International, recently signed a contract with Hanoi worth billions of dollars? Any truth to the rumor that you didn't really fling your "hard-earned" military medals over the White House fence in a juvenile fit of pique as you say you did, but rather, you threw your roommate's medals instead?

I know dozens of retired military professionals. None of them support you - there is a reason for that. They all served honorably and well, and they all believe that you did not. I know war heroes, and your, sir, are no war hero.

-- Glenn Lackey

There are two ways you can criticize a war: the "loyal opposition" way, where you succinctly and politely state why you think this war is a bad idea while always maintaining the John Adams credo of "Our country; in her discourse with foreign nations may she always be right, but our country, right or wrong." Alan Colmes and even Robert Byrd were good examples of that while we were fighting in Iraq, although Byrd's tirades were overly dramatic.

Then there is the traitorous, self-loathing "We are evil, disgusting pigs, no wonder everyone hates us" way to oppose a war, like Kerry's "Winter Soldier" testimony, his hanging out with Jane Fonda, et. al. This has much more in common with those masked freaks in San Francisco carrying banners that read "We support our troops when they shoot their officers" than with civil debate on the Senate floor. And it often causes regular people who are patriotic but who, of course, don't like war, to lose all taste for anti-war movements in general.

I don't question Kerry's service in Vietnam, although obviously some do. I question the way he went about opposing the war after he got back. There are several instances where he went too far. And now, it's gonna come back to haunt him if he insists on making his war record a part of his campaign, to show he's strong on national security, which he's not.

9. CottonBowl'66

Jetsorm, if you support Bush's War in Iraq so much, go enlist and fight in it.

Otherwise, you have nothing to say.

10. CottonBowl'66

Gimp, I do not come to these political boards to make friends. The beauty of them is that you can tell the other side anonymously what you really think of them. You can be totally honest without having to be civil, which you would have to do otherwise.

Since you are a right winger, that in itself makes me think very little of you. You are an obstruction in the path of a better and stronger America. You have very little social redeeming value, in my opinion.

Since right wingers have made it clear many moons ago that they have the same opinion of people like me, I feel no compunction to hide my true feelings.