What Ridley had to say ...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by onceanlsufan, Oct 11, 2010.

1. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Excellent post. JL needs to play the majority of the McNeese game. Would like to see more play action, and more deep balls as well. JL gives us the best chance to win the upcoming big games on the schedule.

I think the largest positive is how JL led game-winning drives in the last minutes two weeks in a row. He appears to be playing with a lot of confidence and poise, which will be huge against the likes of Auburn, Bama, and Arky.

:geauxtige

2. ScottforJC

ScottforJC It's never over until God says its over-Sid Ortis

Lee's obviously got nerves of steel playing with such confidence after so much negative over the past couple of years. Good job and good for you Jarrett Lee!

:geaux:

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

So from what I am hearing, the majority of people would like to see the following, starting with the Auburn game:

Lee starts the game, starts every drive, plays throughout and JJ is only in there for change of pace on short yardage or obvious running downs, which keeps the defense guessing as to who will be running the ball, which should open up Ridley's running lanes even more. Is that about right?

1 person likes this.
  4. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

I think Miles' loyalty is to a fault. He just can't seem to bring himself to run over anybody. I am glad he shows support to the players (they are just kids) but even his coaches will not get raked over the coals in the media by Les. This is another example of that. He may well know he now needs to play Lee more but his loyalty to JJ and fear of hurting him will cause him to stay with the same ole same ole. If he has made up his mine on Lee you can bet it will be gradual move taking the rest of the year to get him more playing time.

1 person likes this.
  5. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

+10

I think the key word is "transition". It may be that having JJ play pushes Lee to be better. The two QB thing may also keep both the guys from getting too tired, or having to shoulder the entire burden of the O. The McNeese Game would be a good place to give Lee 60-75% of the play and see how he is progressing. Of course, if one aspires to be a great QB, you have to take the job on 100% at some point.

On another note, I'm sure Ridley, Ford and Blue like it better when Lee is in, because they do not have to compete with the QB for carries, but play more synergistically with him, balancing the pass and run games.

:geaux:

6. TigerSnarl

TigerSnarl Air Conditioned Gypsy

I guess I really don't care if Les wants to start JJ to keep everyone happy. But J Lee needs to get the majority of the snaps to get ready for the back half of the season. I have never been a fan of two QB systems, but that is what we have here. I like Iststl's summary... sounds like a good idea to me. But clearly we have to let JJ pass some to keep the D honest. We just need to find the routes he is most comfortable with after 20 starts.

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I don't have stats in front of me to support it, but I bet our run game is better when JJ is in the game as far as yards per carry.

If that's the case, then there is call for JJ to be in the game to keep defenses off balance.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I have no issue with Jefferson running an entire drive from time to time, just to complicate the practices of rival DC's.

9. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

I agree with this for the most part. I would add, though, that several of his interceptions and even the returns for touchdowns were due to other players on offense not finishing the play. It seems this team is really playing hard for him, now.

10. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

I have no problem with the 2 QB system. Lee should get the majority of the snaps, but the coaches seem to be handling it well right now. Not putting too much on either guy. So as long as we keep winning, I wont let this define my view of this season.
    Neither one of these guys are going to turn into John Elway.