What Ridley had to say ...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by onceanlsufan, Oct 11, 2010.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Hard to say. We need a statmaster.

Clearly Jefferson adds another running threat, which is a plus. But Lee makes defenses respect the pass, so they take a guy out of the box, giving Ridley more running opportunities.

So . . . one would think that Jefferson would be improve the running game inside the 10, where the defenses won't be drawn deep by a passing threat. Apparently Crowton thinks so, too. On the other hand, Lee can throw the fade pass and the bullet to some very good receivers, which will give him bootleg and rollout pass/run option opportunities.

1 person likes this.
  2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

They absolutely MUST STOP handing the ball off with Jarrett Lee in the shotgun. They still are running the zone read play and it's obvious Lee isn't going to pull the ball back and run. If you want to run the ball with Lee in the game, put him under center in the I formation, or ace formation and run the ball.

3. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

Adding up the running game for the RBs, from the play by play comparing when Lee was in vs Jefferson ....

When Jefferson is in 14 carries for 43 yards .. avg per carry ~3 yrds.

When Lee was in, 14 carries for 85 yards ... avg per carry ~ 6 yrds.

Interestingly, the backs tend to break the longer runs under Lee. The longest carry by the running backs under Jefferson was 7 yrds, Jefferson himself had a 10 and a 13 yrd carry. The longest run under Lee was 25 yrds. There was also a 10 yrd and a 12 yrd break, and a 9 yrd under Lee.

It all depends on your perspective ... If you think the passing threat opens up the run for the RBs .... vs ..... a running QB opening up the run for the backs. I tend to believe that the defenses stack the box when JJ is in. They can't do that with Lee in, because he'll pass all day on them. Also, as the numbers seem to show, Jefferson ends up competing with the RBs for carries when he is in.

Thoughts??

:geaux:

1 person likes this.
  4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I agree and if he'd learn to "read" when he runs the read option he'd be even more effective. It's pretty clear to me he decides before the snap if he's keeping it or not. He hands if off when the DB's are crashing inside and pulls it when they aren't.

5. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

At least he will keep it occasionally, I don't understand why Lee won't just hold onto the ball one time in one of those read option play to just run 3-4 yards and slide. If he would do it twice a game it would help. I don't think I've ever seen him keep it on that read option which kind of contradicts the word option in that description.

Just one or two times.....

1 person likes this.
  6. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

Hey Islet ...

I ran all the numbers, which include Jefferson's runs and 0 gains and losses.

Total Rushing under Jefferson was 28 carries for 83 yrds, 2.96/carry

Total Rushing under Lee was 19 carries for 81 yrds, 4.26/carry.

7. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

This supports my observations from Saturday night. Seemed like Ridley was getting a 1st down almost every time he touched it when Lee was in. Made it a little easier for him to get past the 1st level and then break faces in the secondary.

The offense, as a whole, undeniably functions much effectively with Jarret Lee taking the snaps. At times, we looked like we did vs VT in '07.

8. Bayou Bengal11

Bayou Bengal11 ~Orlando Tiger Coonass~

also, Lee has a VERY quick release which is good in goal line situations. I think Lees pluses out weight JJs running ability inside the 10. JMO

9. ccgw

ccgw luv'em Tigers

One major factor for Lee's performance this year as opposed in the past is that he is not pushing for a play when it is not there; seems to make better and quicker decisions. I wonder how he is now in not staring down his receivers, and spotting his second or third option receivers? I think JJ now is going through what JL went through in 2008, going from being too careful with deciding to make the pass to pushing too much , telegraphing plays and passing into coverage.

10. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

Not necessarily that. Lee starts the game, and starts maybe 80% of the drives. JJ is put in there maybe 1 or 2 drives in a game to keep the defenses having to gameplan for a running QB and also on some goal line situations (although Lee showed he's really good in goal line too).

I do not believe JJ being in the game would open up running lanes for Ridley. It would seem it'd be the complete opposite of that. When JJ is in, the box is stacked. JJ doesn't have the speed to get to the outside so it makes running harder.

Lee in the game would improve the running because of spreading the Defense out. It's obvious why Ridley prefers Lee. He gets more touches and it's easier to break them with Lee in the game.