What Ridley had to say ...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by onceanlsufan, Oct 11, 2010.

1. roynav

roynav free your mind

Ha! Good, I'm not the only one worried by such posts.

2. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

This is the most accurate statement to be made on our QB play yet. Not cut and dry in the least. Both QBs are at a strange place mentally so you want to ease them both along.

And our team relies on both equally. JJ has finally found some running plays he feels comfortable with, including the brilliant read option which we now run, which is basically an inverted veer (Auburn runs this a lot too) where we fake the stretch play to the RB and then JJ keeps it up the middle. Basically a QB trap.

Lee obviously opens up the passing component and allows us to properly use Toliver, Randle, etc...But I still think Jefferson has a place in this offense, if he continues to play as he played on Saturday.

3. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

can jl run the whole crowton system with all the throws close to the los with a rabid d coming at him? --uf's d doesnt qualify and thankfully it seems tha auburns doesnt either. but arkansas and bama will bring it.

what will happen after jl's first pick 6?

4. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

If he continues to play like he did Saturday his role should be relegated to goal line (only sometimes) and for a change of pace series QB. Saturday he had to rely on JLee to drive the ball down the field before he could do anything. Every series he started stalled because he couldn't make the passes our Offense needs. He almost got DePete killed on a big gain pass because it was so behind him.

Look, I hope the best for JJ and I want him to succeed but he needs to take on a support role at least for awhile to take some of the pressure off of him. JLee NEEDS 80% of the snaps against McNeese because of what's going to be asked of him as the season continues.

5. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

Do you realize how close JJ was to throwing a Pick 6 against Florida last Saturday?

Also, what's your point of posting this? What's YOUR solution to the QB situation THIS SEASON if not Jlee?

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with. Like it or not JLee really is our only option for a passing QB.

6. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

That's fine, but as I said, he needs to have some sort of role in our offense. And he did lead a FG drive on the opening possession, FWIW.

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

jl is clearly the best option lsu has---and i posted this before the tenn game.

jl has shown he is more than able, but you a homer if you dont have concern for how jl will handle big pressure from a d and how he (and the team) will perform after a big screw up.

8. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I'm more worried about how the "Fanbase" will perform after a big screw up than about how either of the quarterbacks will.

They both show more courage maturity than most of the "LSU fans".

9. Herb

Herb Founding Member

True. I never looked at it from the J Lee angle.

And your answer to his allegiance to JJ is much more simple of an explanation than "he's stubborn like Haslett was with Brooks" that seems to be the meme these days.

10. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

I agree 100%. CLM seems to know his players. And as to some of the others on this thread question: "why hasn't Lee played earlier", I think that the answer lies in the above post. He may not have performed well in practice! He may still be fragile mentally (no matter how he "acts" on TV).

CLM said several times that JJ was making the throws in practice. He never said anything about JL in practice. The coaches loyalty is to the players and that includes playing the ones that HE thinks deserve it based on everything HE sees. Not what the fans see. He knows these players and he has seen them much more than the fans. The offense is finally opening up and both QBs are playing better. Lee looks great. If he would have started sooner, maybe he wouldn't now. If he was the only QB to be on the field against UF, maybe he implodes and we lose. We just don't know. I just don't see how fans can be so adament about how Lee should have been playing sooner. This is complicated.